Newly Certified, Now What?

Newer Michigan resident, transplant from somewhere medical cannabis was not a possibility. Went to see a physician today and got signed off to be a medical MJ patient! After years of chronic pain and endless meds and steroid injections, I'm thrilled to finally have a more natural and enjoyable option.

Anyway, I was told the rules had recently changed as far as the paperwork that is submitted to the state. Apparently now the state just makes sure all of the information submitted is correct, rather than making their own decisions on the validity of the doctors recommendation. So, I'm stamped and admittedly anxious to start meds. Will caregivers and/or dispensaries take this paperwork as a temporary card? All the guy at the doctors office could tell me was that I can now legally possess. He could not and would not give me any advice about obtaining medication. So I thought I'd turn to you folks.

From what I've read, it seems like it could take several weeks or even months to get the hard copy of my card. I was hoping to start meds soon, as I'd like to start lessening my reliance on prescription pills.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

First off welcome to the forums hard cards arrive in less than 50 days I recently had a change of caregiver card arrive in 32 days so you should not have to wait for long second depending on your location in the state there are dispensaries that accept paperwork or you can browse our classifieds and find a caregiver in your area but there is a 21 business day waiting period for a caregiver to be able to provide you medicine.

wow, that's crazy slow. I wish it was a faster process, a hard card fells more secure to me than dated papers.

Its also a bummer that a patients card can expire, without your knowledge, while the cg card I possess shows validity.(as a cg)

in a bad scene a cg could be growing for a not registered  patient without even knowing. I keep a copy of patient cards also, and program expiry dates .

Yikes. I was curious to hear what people's experiences had been. Seems like a lot of the info I was finding on random message boards was outdated.

Like I mentioned, I'm new here and don't know anybody. Quit my job and left all my friends and family in Pittsburgh to come to Ferndale for my partner's job. So far I love it here (minus all this snow). It's nice to know this message board is here to get some sound advice :)

The idea of having one designated care giver doesn't appeal to me necessarily. I have a few issues that could be treated separately with a variety of meds. Buying edibles is also extremely appealing to me, and from the few sites I've found the dispensaries seem to be the way to go for that. I know I'll never grow my own meds. Since I haven't designated a caregiver, can I get meds from a dispensary? Does anyone else use one? I've read a few yelp reviews that were favorable to a few near me, but you never know. Any and all advice for a newbie would be super helpful!

Thanks everybody!!

Yikes. I was curious to hear what people's experiences had been. Seems like a lot of the info I was finding on random message boards was outdated.

Like I mentioned, I'm new here and don't know anybody. Quit my job and left all my friends and family in Pittsburgh to come to Ferndale for my partner's job. So far I love it here (minus all this snow). It's nice to know this message board is here to get some sound advice :)

The idea of having one designated care giver doesn't appeal to me necessarily. I have a few issues that could be treated separately with a variety of meds. Buying edibles is also extremely appealing to me, and from the few sites I've found the dispensaries seem to be the way to go for that. I know I'll never grow my own meds. Since I haven't designated a caregiver, can I get meds from a dispensary? Does anyone else use one? I've read a few yelp reviews that were favorable to a few near me, but you never know. Any and all advice for a newbie would be super helpful!

Thanks everybody!!

If you find a caregiver that uses their small buds to make cannabis oil then you can eat a small amount of that and it's the same as a medible. Everything other than buds is illegal right now. Dispensaries are illegal.

Resto......are you sure that a cannabis sucker is illegal ?

Ldiddy---most cg's I know grow at least 10 different strains, and are always stocked. We agree that variety is key in the craft.

Yup. Until the legislature, or the courts, come up with a conversion factor the cops will continue to say that they can't tell how much of your 2.5 ounces are in there. You could see this one coming at us from 1500 miles away. Of course MPP is myopic, they didn't see it when they started writing law.

Resto......are you sure that a cannabis sucker is illegal ?

Ldiddy---most cg's I know grow at least 10 different strains, and are always stocked. We agree that variety is key in the craft.

Some caregivers I know can satisfy with 10 plants and have no use for more than a few strains. To each his own. I like simplicity whenever possible. Edited by Restorium2

First off welcome to the forums hard cards arrive in less than 50 days I recently had a change of caregiver card arrive in 32 days so you should not have to wait for long second depending on your location in the state there are dispensaries that accept paperwork or you can browse our classifieds and find a caregiver in your area but there is a 21 business day waiting period for a caregiver to be able to provide you medicine.

KD, I don't know where you came up with the idea that there is a 21-day waiting period before a CG can supply a patient.  The MMMAct doesn't say a thing about how long one must wait before a Change Form is automatically approved.  Take a look at the LARA FAQ regarding this issue:

Question:
I sent in a Change Form. How long does it take to receive a new registry ID card?
And what do I do between the time I sent my Change Form and 20 business days?

Answer:
The MMMA does not address a mandated
number of days the MMP has to review Change Form.  Therefore, the answer above regarding approved applications [20 days] does not apply.
The patient (and if a caregiver was designated on the Change Form) should receive their new registry ID cards within approximately 60 - 90 days

If you have a qualified source that states that a Change Form is automatically approved after 20 days, please post the info.  If not, please consider that your position that there is a specific waiting period is not supported by any current documented policy or case law.

I'm pretty sure zap corrected me a couple weeks ago on this very point, as I agreed with  you, that medibles are illegal.  I hope he chimes in for clarification.

Yup. Until the legislature, or the courts, come up with a conversion factor the cops will continue to say that they can't tell how much of your 2.5 ounces are in there. You could see this one coming at us from 1500 miles away. Of course MPP is myopic, they didn't see it when they started writing law.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the state has cashed my check and I've been anxiously checking my mailbox ever since. Is it 21 days from the day the check is cashed, or 21 business days? I wish I wasn't so impatient but I'm running low on scripts now that I don't have health insurance and pain is getting unbearable.

Edited by Ldiddy

Ok, the state has cashed my check and I've been anxiously checking my mailbox ever since. Is it 21 days from the day the check is cashed, or 21 business days? I wish I wasn't so impatient but I'm running low on scripts now that I don't have health insurance and pain is getting unbearable.

Have you tried to sign up for the new health care Law ?

Yes, I've checked it out. It's still crazy expensive. I'm hoping to reduce my reliance on pills once I can use MJ to medicate. And if the state gets their act together on this gay marriage case, I could get on my wife's health insurance ????