Dad Dianosed With Stage 1 Cancer Today.

Stage one is curable if you do not wait. Rick simpson oil is made with naptha. BAD. Some people make oils with iso alcohol. BAD! The oil concentrates the poisons an petro chems.   Make oil with everclear or organic food grade alcohol. Good luck I know people who survived cancers with chemo and others who did not. 

Thanks that is what I have been reading.  i produce organics meds so I tend to stay as close to that line as possible.

What Is Isopropyl Alcohol?

A bottle of isopropyl alcohol.

A glass bottle of isopropyl alcohol.

Medical wipes soaked in isopropyl alcohol.

Article Details
  • Originally Written By: Karyn Maier
  • Revised By: Emma Lloyd
  • Edited By: Jay Garcia
  • Last Modified Date: 31 March 2014
  • Copyright Protected: 

2003-2014 

Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article
Free Widgets for your Site/Blog
Nearly one in four American couples sleep in separate bedrooms or beds. more...

April 8 ,  564 BC :  Buddha is said to have been born.  more...
Subscribe to wiseGEEK

Learn something new every day More Info...by email

Isopropyl alcohol is a colorless, combustible liquid with a wide variety of uses. It has a wide range of uses in the home and is used in laboratories, in medicine, and in many manufacturing industries. Two of its most popular uses are as a solvent and a cleaning fluid. This alcohol does have some toxic properties, however, so people should be careful when they use it.

Rubbing Alcohol

Along with ethanol, isopropyl is one of the types of alcohol commonly used as the primary ingredient of rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is known as surgical spirit in some countries, including the UK and Ireland. Under both names, the solution is typically 70% isopropyl or ethanol and 30% distilled water. The alcohol in the liquid is denatured.

In this context, denatured does not mean the substance is no longer alcoholic. It means that the alcohol has been mixed with other chemicals to make it undrinkable, by making it poisonous or nauseating, or by making it taste or smell extremely unpleasant. This is done to discourage people from drinking it.

Look into diet changes also.  Look into gerson therapy for some nutritional ideas, through juicing.  Google raw food diet and cancer for some ideas.  Green smoothies are a tasty way to add large amounts of cancer fitting nutrition into the diet.  Wheat grass can be beneficial too.  

Prognosis is good for him with conventional methods.  So if he makes a major change in life style he will come out on the winning side of the statistics.  Godspeed.

I def am going to try to get his body alkalinty altered.  I know he does not eat proper.  And more greens low fat, cleAN organic proteins are the way to go.

What Is Isopropyl Alcohol?

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-isopropyl-alcohol.htm

Ads by Google

How to Stop Drink Alcohol

Isopropyl Alcohol Wipes

Alcohol Disinfectant

Ethanol Alcohol

Drinking Alcohol

Isopropyl Alcohol

Isopropyl Alcohol Cleaner

Ethyl Isopropyl Alcohol

Isopropyl Alcohol Wipes

Isopropyl Alcohol Swabs

A bottle of isopropyl alcohol.

A glass bottle of isopropyl alcohol.

Medical wipes soaked in isopropyl alcohol.

View slideshow of images above

Watch the Did-You-Know slideshow

Ads by Google

Denatured Alcohol

Ethyl Alcohol

Alcohol Long Term Effects

The Effects of Alcohol

Alcohol Related Diseases

Home Test for Alcohol

Article Details

• Originally Written By: Karyn Maier
  • Revised By: Emma Lloyd
  • Edited By: Jay Garcia
  • Last Modified Date: 31 March 2014
  • Copyright Protected: 

2003-2014 Conjecture Corporation

• Print this Article
Free Widgets for your Site/Blog

Did You Know?

Nearly one in four American couples sleep in separate bedrooms or beds. more...

get widget

This Day in History

April 8 ,  564 BC :  Buddha is said to have been born.  more...

get widget

Subscribe to wiseGEEK

Learn something new every day More Info...by email

Isopropyl alcohol is a colorless, combustible liquid with a wide variety of uses. It has a wide range of uses in the home and is used in laboratories, in medicine, and in many manufacturing industries. Two of its most popular uses are as a solvent and a cleaning fluid. This alcohol does have some toxic properties, however, so people should be careful when they use it.

Rubbing Alcohol

Along with ethanol, isopropyl is one of the types of alcohol commonly used as the primary ingredient of rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is known as surgical spirit in some countries, including the UK and Ireland. Under both names, the solution is typically 70% isopropyl or ethanol and 30% distilled water. The alcohol in the liquid is denatured.

In this context, denatured does not mean the substance is no longer alcoholic. It means that the alcohol has been mixed with other chemicals to make it undrinkable, by making it poisonous or nauseating, or by making it taste or smell extremely unpleasant. This is done to discourage people from drinking it.

Nice! Now we have something concrete to work with. They add methanol to denature the iso alcohol. This is done to discourage people from drinking it. Methanol has an even lower boiling point than iso alcohol. It will be the first to leave the oil as you finish/boil it off. No worries about that now. If you understand the chemical properties then you can rely on that knowledge to make a safe product.

No manufacturer adds methyl alcohol to isopropyl alcohol to denature it. That is false.

You can find it on the net that they add methanol to denature. I didn't believe it either because it doesn't say it on the bottle anywhere. BUT Just in case someone is worried .... you know, cover all the bases.

nobody's drinking ounces of any solvent, or even any of it, because  it's totally removed from the end product. Naptha is used to make botanical medical extractions as routine. GW uses naptha in a rotational evaporator.  Its safe, and very effective often depending on target constituents. The dangers come when solvents are not totally removed from the extraction before use. Simple procedures can be used to remove and even reuse solvents.

One ounce of vodka vaporized will kill a human being. google LiqCig, coming to an E.R. near you.

the most popular cannabis extraction is done with olive oil, and is effective, safe, edible, and nobody ever died or got sick from it. If I was treating my cancer I would use olive oil as my solvent.

We had a rather lengthy discussion on this board about naphtha - I think before you signed up.  I felt then, as I do now, that people should be clear that there is a "light" naphtha and a "heavy" naphtha.  "Naphtha," as an industry term, includes petroleum compounds that boil off as high as 392 degrees F.  This is probably the paint brush cleaner you'd get at a hardware store.  With this product, you'd boil off your THC before the residual petroleum.

So people who are thinking about using naphtha should be sure that have a "light" naphtha product, which includes petroleum compounds with boiling points up to about 192F.

nobody's drinking ounces of any solvent, or even any of it, because  it's totally removed from the end product. Naptha is used to make botanical medical extractions as routine. GW uses naptha in a rotational evaporator.  Its safe, and very effective often depending on target constituents. The dangers come when solvents are not totally removed from the extraction before use. Simple procedures can be used to remove and even reuse solvents.

One ounce of vodka vaporized will kill a human being. google LiqCig, coming to an E.R. near you.

the most popular cannabis extraction is done with olive oil, and is effective, safe, edible, and nobody ever died or got sick from it. If I was treating my cancer I would use olive oil as my solvent.

Contact Grow Goddess she has the hookup on Simpson oil .

Thanks King!

Motorcitymeds:

Well,  you can either listen to people bicker and argue and get more confused and make no progress or you can consider this. I miniscule amount of the correct naphtha or isopropyl alcohol is not going to do you dad any harm compared to what chemo or radiation treatment could do.

The doctors and pharmaceutical companies will be more than happy to exaggerate the cure rates based upon their treatment options. They will probably fail to mention the entire consequences of going with their recommended treatments.

Just recently, someone where I work, their significant other had a tumor on the back of their neck. Started chemo, tumor shrank on the outside, but became more aggressive on the inside. Then they began radiation. Now they cannot eat or drink because of the effects of the radiation and now has a feeding tube directly attached to their stomach. Getting weaker every day too. So sad actually. I feel so bad, I could not suggest any alternatives for fear of losing my job.

I have been hearing more and more stories like this it just makes me sick. Now, I have heard of a few people that had good results with chemo treatments. That was about 10 or 15 years ago though. Within the last decade, I can honestly say that I have not heard of one person that was cured or managed their cancers with modern medicine. If you ask me, I think it is genocide, deliberate.

Just one example of countless others. Recently our president increased the allowable amount of radiation in our sea food by 100% so that the US can continue to purchase unwanted over radiated seafood from Japan. Japan also raised their allowable radiation levels in their food. Their current allowable radiation levels are 1000% lower than ours. This is based upon a MSN News article I recently read. Looked pretty credible to me. 

Anyway, you are on the right track. Treat your dad with concentrated cannabis oil that has been decarbed aka RSO. The highest quality possible. Most people I hear about, including the two patients I treated, 3 months of taking the oil as directed by Rick, their tumors stopped growing, 3 more months and the cancer was gone. After 6 months of full treatment, if things go right, which I believe will as long as the directions are followed and not one dose is missed, he will feel like the 6 months was just a dream, a trip.

I try to avoid discussing cancer and alternative treatment options here due to past experiences, but I pretty much discuss it daily on FaceBook. If you would like to speak with my cancer patients, who are still cancer free, I would be more than happy to help connect you to them. One of the patients is quite educated on modern treatments and the awful side effects.

Just send me a friend request here: https://www.facebook.com/growgoddess.michigan

I can point you to other cancer patients who also beat cancer solely with RSO.

Here is a link on how I make my oil. http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/blog/532/entry-1098-rso-qwiso-concentrates-by-grow-goddess/#commentsStart

Here is a link documenting the experience I had working with the the cancer patients and making the oil: http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/blog/532/entry-841-my-experience-with-rick-simpson-oil-cannabis-oil-vs-cancer/

Here is another place where I documented my experience with public input: http://boards.cannabis.com/concentrates/200017-my-experience-rick-simpson-oil.html

That is about all I got. I hope to hear from you.

Please treat your dad with the oil. The first couple of months is the most difficult. It gets easier from there up. Use the best material you got and I highly recommend mixing strains.

Good luck and God bless

Edit: Oh yes, I almost forgot, should your dad decide to go the RSO route, he may also want to consider vaporizing. This would be best to begin after at least two weeks of getting accustomed to the RSO. This is not intended to me an alternative to ingesting the oil, but as an added treatment. Hitting the cancer from two sides. Internal and external. I have got my vaporizing down so well that it even makes my lips a little sticky if I take 4 or 5 hits. Again, I would put my faith in ingesting the RSO, vaporizing would just be an extra bonus. http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/blog/532/entry-1026-my-experience-with-portable-vaporizers-pen-vaporizers-for-concentrated-cannabis-oil-and-e-cigarette-oil/

Edited by GrowGoddess

This should provide further clarity. You can go right to the conclusions but i think it is interesting reading.

http://www.bedrocan.nl/userfiles/file/cannabs%20oil%20hazekamp%20Romano.pdf

I suggest going to the above since it contains charts and such and is all around easier to read. 

Cannabinoids 2013;1(1):1-11
© International Association for Cannabinoid Medicines 1
Original article
Cannabis Oil: chemical evaluation of an upcoming cannabis-based medicine
Luigi L Romano, Arno Hazekamp
Department of Pharmacy, University of Siena, Italy
Plant Metabolomics group, Institute of Biology, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Abstract
Concentrated cannabis extracts, also known as Cannabis oils because of their sticky and viscous appearance, are becoming increasingly popular among self-medicating patients as a claimed cure for cancer. In general, preparation methods for Cannabis oils are relatively simple and do not re-quire particular instruments. The most well-known example of such a product is called ‘Simpson oil’. The purpose of the extraction, often followed by a solvent evaporation step, is to make canna-binoids and other beneficial components such as terpenes available in a highly concentrated form. Although various preparation methods have been recommended for Cannabis oils, so far no stud-ies have reported on the chemical composition of such products.
Recognizing the need for more information on quality and safety issues regarding Cannabis oils, an analytical study was performed to compare several generally used preparation methods on the basis of content of cannabinoids, terpenes, and residual solvent components. Solvents used include ethanol, naphtha, petroleum ether, and olive oil. The obtained results are not intended to support or deny the therapeutic properties of these products, but may be useful for better understanding the experiences of self-medicating patients through chemical analysis of this popular medicine.
Keywords: cannabis oil, Rick Simpson oil, cancer, cannabinoids, terpenes
This article can be downloaded, printed and distributed freely for any non-commercial purposes, provided the original work is prop-erly cited (see copyright info below). Available online at www.cannabis-med.org
Author's address: Arno Hazekamp, ahazekamp@rocketmail.com
Introduction
Cannabinoids exert palliative effects in cancer patients by reducing nausea, vomiting and pain, and by stimu-lating appetite [1]. In addition, preclinical evidence has shown cannabinoids to be capable, under some condi-tions, of inhibiting the development of cancer cells by various mechanisms of action, including apoptosis, inhibition of angiogenesis, and arresting the cell cycle [2,3]. As a result of such exciting findings, a growing number of videos and reports have appeared on the internet arguing that cannabis can cure cancer. But although research is on-going around the world, there is currently no solid clinical evidence to prove that cannabinoids - whether natural or synthetic - can effec-tively treat cancer in humans. It is therefore important to be cautious when extrapolating preclinical results to patients.
Anecdotal reports on cannabis use have been historical-ly helpful to provide hints on the biological processes controlled by the endocannabinoid system, and on the potential therapeutic benefits of cannabinoids. The antiemetic [4], appetite-enhancing [5], analgesic [6], and muscle-relaxant effects [7] and the therapeutic use of cannabinoids in Tourette’s syndrome [8] were all discovered or rediscovered in this manner. But alt-hough it is possible - and even desirable - that cannabis preparations exert an antineoplastic activity in, at least some, cancer patients, the current anecdotal evidence reported on this issue is still poor, and, unfortunately, remains far from supporting that cannabinoids are efficacious anticancer drugs for large patient popula-
Original Article
2 Cannabinoids  Vol 7, Issue 1  May 5, 2013
tions [9]. It should be noted, however, that the potential effects of terpenes on cancer, either alone or in combi-nation with cannabinoids, have not yet been addressed in laboratory studies. Indeed, the synergistic effect between cannabinoids and terpenes is often claimed to be the major difference between ‘holistic’ herbal prepa-rations of cannabis, and products based on single can-nabinoids [10]. Moreover, self-medicating patients often use extraction methods and/or administration forms that are quite different from conditions used in (pre)clinical studies, possibly resulting in different serum profiles of cannabinoids and their metabolites [11] and, consequently, in different therapeutic effects. Because of this gap between clinical research and real experiences, the curative potential of whole cannabis preparations for the treatment of different cancer types remains unclear.
In recent years an increasing number of patients have been using concentrated extracts of herbal cannabis, which, because of its sticky and viscous appearance, has become known as “Cannabis oil”. Among the self-medicating population, it is firmly believed that these products are capable of curing cancer, a claim that is backed up by numerous anecdotal patient stories. Can-nabis oil is a concentrated extract obtained by solvent extraction of the buds or leaves of the cannabis plant. Various non-polar solvents have been recommended for this purpose, including petroleumether, naphtha, alcohol and olive oil. The purpose of the extraction, often followed by a solvent evaporation step, is to make cannabinoids and other beneficial components such as terpenes available in a highly concentrated form. In general, preparation methods for Cannabis oil are relatively simple and do not require particular in-struments. For this reason, people who have access to cannabis, either home grown or obtained from licensed pharmacies, dispensaries, coffee shops or the black market, may prepare it at home by themselves.
In particular, the captivating story of a former patient called Rick Simpson, a Canadian who claims to have cured his skin cancer through repeated topical applica-tion of Cannabis oil produced according to his own recipe, has received increasing attention. His detailed story is described on his website [12] and in a docu-mentary film called “run from the cure” [13] where various cancer patients describe the therapeutic effects of ‘Simpson’ oil on their medical condition. In both the website and documentary, it is explained in detail how to prepare and administer the product. The method suggests the use of naphtha or petroleum ether as a solvent for the extraction, without specifying a particu-lar quality or source. Both solvents are a mixture of petroleum hydrocarbons (PHCs), often available in a wide range of qualities. In general, petroleum ether and naphtha refer to very similar products, even though different names may be used around the world; e.g. in some countries naphtha is equivalent to diesel or kero-sene fuel. As a result, extensive discussions on solvent choice can be found on web-forums. Following the success of Simpson oil, a number of related recipes have sprung up, emphasizing small but significant changes to the original recipe. Examples include focus-ing on extraction with safer solvents such as ethanol [14], or preventing exposure to organic solvents alto-gether, by using olive oil [15].
Since cancer is a devastating disease that affects a large proportion of the world population, it causes some patients to seek alternative treatments outside the realm of modern medicine. With a growing interest in Can-nabis oils for self-medication it is important not to overlook the importance of quality control and stand-ardization. In this regard it should be noted that none of the production methods for Cannabis oil have been validated in published literature, and no reports have been made on the chemical composition of these prod-ucts either. As a result, although many believe Canna-bis oil may cure cancer, no one seems to know what is actually in it. Instead, the positive effects of Cannabis oil are based almost exclusively on case-reports by people who have used it. This paper evaluates the ef-fects of preparation methods, and particularly the sol-vents used, on the final composition of the different Cannabis oils. The obtained results are not intended to support or deny the therapeutic properties of these products, but may be useful for better understanding the experiences of self-medicating patients through chemical analysis of this popular medicine.
Materials and Methods
Plant material
Cannabis plant material used in this study was of the variety ‘Bedrocan’ (19% THC w/w) and was obtained from Bedrocan BV (Veendam, The Netherlands) where it was cultivated under standardized conditions accord-ing to the requirements of Good Agricultural Practice (GAP). Only female flower tops were used (‘Cannabis Flos’). After harvest, the plant material was air-dried in the dark under constant temperature and humidity for 1 week. Dried flowers were manicured to remove leaves and stems, and finally cut in smaller pieces. The same cannabis material is officially dispensed through Dutch pharmacies under the medicinal cannabis program of the Netherlands, supervised by the Office of Medicinal Cannabis (OMC). The plant material was homogenized by grinding, and stored at -20°C until used.
Chemicals and solvents
Ethanol (HPLC grade), methanol (HPLC grade), acetic acid (analytical grade) and activated charcoal (analyti-cal grade) were purchased from Sigma-Aldrich (Stein-heim, Germany). Petroleum ether (boiling point 40-65°C; analytical grade) was purchased from Boom BV (Meppel, The Netherlands). Naphtha (light hydrotreat-ed petroleum distillate; Coleman® fuel) was purchased from the Coleman Company (Wichita, USA). Olive oil (extra virgin quality) was purchased from a local gro-cery store. Deuterated chloroform (CDCl3) was from Eurisotop (Gif-sur-Yvette, France). Pure ethanolic standards for delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and
Grotenhermen
Cannabinoids  Vol 5, No 1  January 23, 2010 3
delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA) were produced as previously described [16,17]. Cellulose filter paper for filtration of extracts was from Whatman Ltd. (Maidstone, UK).
Table 1: Detailed description of the five different protocols used for preparation of Cannabis oils.
Preparation step Preparation step Preparation stepPreparation stepPreparation stepPreparation stepPreparation stepPreparation stepPreparation stepPreparation step Preparation stepPreparation step
1) NAPHTHA 1) NAPHTHA1) NAPHTHA1) NAPHTHA 1) NAPHTHA 1) NAPHTHA
2) PETROLEUM 2) PETROLEUM 2) PETROLEUM 2) PETROLEUM 2) PETROLEUM 2) PETROLEUM ETHERETHER ETHERETHER
3) ETHANOL 3) ETHANOL3) ETHANOL3) ETHANOL3) ETHANOL3) ETHANOL3) ETHANOL3) ETHANOL
4) OLIVE OIL I 4) OLIVE OIL I 4) OLIVE OIL I4) OLIVE OIL I4) OLIVE OIL I 4) OLIVE OIL I
5) OLIVE OIL II 5) OLIVE OIL II 5) OLIVE OIL II5) OLIVE OIL II5) OLIVE OIL II 5) OLIVE OIL II
CANNABIS (g)CANNABIS (g)CANNABIS (g)CANNABIS (g)CANNABIS (g)CANNABIS (g)CANNABIS (g) CANNABIS (g)CANNABIS (g)CANNABIS (g)
5g
5g
5g
5g
10g
SOLVENT (mL)SOLVENT (mL) SOLVENT (mL) SOLVENT (mL)SOLVENT (mL)SOLVENT (mL) SOLVENT (mL)
NaphthaNaphtha NaphthaNaphthaNaphtha
(200 mL)(200 mL) (200 mL)
Petroleum ether Petroleum ether Petroleum ether Petroleum ether Petroleum ether Petroleum ether Petroleum ether Petroleum ether Petroleum ether Petroleum ether Petroleum ether Petroleum ether Petroleum ether Petroleum ether (200 mL)(200 mL) (200 mL)
EthanolEthanolEthanol Ethanol Ethanol
(200 mL)(200 mL) (200 mL)
Olive oil (20 mL) +Olive oil (20 mL) +Olive oil (20 mL) +Olive oil (20 mL) +Olive oil (20 mL) +Olive oil (20 mL) +Olive oil (20 mL) +Olive oil (20 mL) +Olive oil (20 mL) +Olive oil (20 mL) + Olive oil (20 mL) + Olive oil (20 mL) + Olive oil (20 mL) + water (70 mL)water (70 mL)water (70 mL)water (70 mL)water (70 mL)water (70 mL)water (70 mL)water (70 mL)water (70 mL) water (70 mL)
Olive oilOlive oilOlive oilOlive oilOlive oilOlive oilOlive oilOlive oilOlive oil
(100 mL)(100 mL) (100 mL)
EXTRACTION/EXTRACTION/EXTRACTION/EXTRACTION/EXTRACTION/EXTRACTION/ EXTRACTION/ EXTRACTION/EXTRACTION/
FILTRATIONFILTRATION FILTRATIONFILTRATIONFILTRATIONFILTRATIONFILTRATION FILTRATION
Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1:
5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL naphtha, agitate 20 naphtha, agitate 20 naphtha, agitate 20 naphtha, agitate 20 naphtha, agitate 20 naphtha, agitate 20 naphtha, agitate 20 naphtha, agitate 20 naphtha, agitate 20 naphtha, agitate 20 naphtha, agitate 20 naphtha, agitate 20 naphtha, agitate 20 min. (a)min. (a)min. (a) min. (a)
Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter paperpaper paperpaper
Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2:
Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 mL naphtha, agitate 20 mL naphtha, agitate 20 mL naphtha, agitate 20 mL naphtha, agitate 20 mL naphtha, agitate 20 mL naphtha, agitate 20 mL naphtha, agitate 20 mL naphtha, agitate 20 mL naphtha, agitate 20 mL naphtha, agitate 20 mL naphtha, agitate 20 mL naphtha, agitate 20 mL naphtha, agitate 20 mL naphtha, agitate 20 mL naphtha, agitate 20 min. (a)min. (a)min. (a) min. (a)
Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter Filtration with filter paperpaper paperpaper
Combine extractsCombine extractsCombine extractsCombine extracts Combine extracts Combine extracts Combine extracts Combine extractsCombine extracts Combine extractsCombine extracts
Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1: Extraction #1:
5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL petr. ether, agitate 20 petr. ether, agitate 20 petr. ether, agitate 20 petr. ether, agitate 20 petr. ether, agitate 20 petr. ether, agitate 20 petr. ether, agitate 20 petr. ether, agitate 20 petr. ether, agitate 20 petr. ether, agitate 20 petr. ether, agitate 20 petr. ether, agitate 20 petr. ether, agitate 20 petr. ether, agitate 20 petr. ether, agitate 20 petr. ether, agitate 20 min. (a)min. (a)min. (a) min. (a)
Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2: Extraction #2:
Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate mlLpetr. ether, agitate 20 min. (a) 20 min. (a)20 min. (a) 20 min. (a)
Combine extractsCombine extractsCombine extractsCombine extracts Combine extracts Combine extracts Combine extracts Combine extractsCombine extracts Combine extractsCombine extracts
ExtracExtrac ExtracExtrac tion #1: tion #1: tion #1: tion #1: tion #1: tion #1:
5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL 5 g cannabis + 100 mL ethanol, agitate 20 ethanol, agitate 20 ethanol, agitate 20 ethanol, agitate 20 ethanol, agitate 20 ethanol, agitate 20 ethanol, agitate 20 ethanol, agitate 20 ethanol, agitate 20 ethanol, agitate 20 ethanol, agitate 20 ethanol, agitate 20 ethanol, agitate 20 ethanol, agitate 20 min. (a)min. (a)min. (a) min. (a)
Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 Same cannabis + 100 mL ethanol, agitate 20 mL ethanol, agitate 20 mL ethanol, agitate 20 mL ethanol, agitate 20 mL ethanol, agitate 20 mL ethanol, agitate 20 mL ethanol, agitate 20 mL ethanol, agitate 20 mL ethanol, agitate 20 mL ethanol, agitate 20 mL ethanol, agitate 20 mL ethanol, agitate 20 mL ethanol, agitate 20 mL ethanol, agitate 20 mL ethanol, agitate 20 mL ethanol, agitate 20 min. (a)min. (a)min. (a) min. (a)
5g cannabis + 20 mL 5g cannabis + 20 mL 5g cannabis + 20 mL 5g cannabis + 20 mL 5g cannabis + 20 mL 5g cannabis + 20 mL 5g cannabis + 20 mL 5g cannabis + 20 mL 5g cannabis + 20 mL 5g cannabis + 20 mL olive oil + 50 mL water.olive oil + 50 mL water.olive oil + 50 mL water.olive oil + 50 mL water.olive oil + 50 mL water.olive oil + 50 mL water.olive oil + 50 mL water.olive oil + 50 mL water.olive oil + 50 mL water.olive oil + 50 mL water. olive oil + 50 mL water. olive oil + 50 mL water.olive oil + 50 mL water. olive oil + 50 mL water.olive oil + 50 mL water.olive oil + 50 mL water.olive oil + 50 mL water.olive oil + 50 mL water.olive oil + 50 mL water. Heat in water bath Heat in water bath Heat in water bath Heat in water bath Heat in water bath Heat in water bath Heat in water bath Heat in water bath Heat in water bath Heat in water bath Heat in water bath Heat in water bath Heat in water bath Heat in water bath ~98°C for 60 min.~98°C for 60 min. ~98°C for 60 min.~98°C for 60 min. ~98°C for 60 min.~98°C for 60 min.~98°C for 60 min. ~98°C for 60 min.~98°C for 60 min.~98°C for 60 min.
Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off. stand to cool off. stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off. stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off.
Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)
Rinse the plant Rinse the plant Rinse the plant Rinse the plant Rinse the plant Rinse the plant Rinse the plant Rinse the plant Rinse the plant Rinse the plant Rinse the plant material with 20 mL of material with 20 mL of material with 20 mL of material with 20 mL of material with 20 mL of material with 20 mL of material with 20 mL of material with 20 mL of material with 20 mL of material with 20 mL of material with 20 mL of material with 20 mL of material with 20 mL of material with 20 mL of material with 20 mL of hot water hot waterhot water hot waterhot waterhot waterhot water
Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b)
10 g cannabis + 100 10 g cannabis + 100 10 g cannabis + 100 10 g cannabis + 100 10 g cannabis + 100 10 g cannabis + 100 10 g cannabis + 100 10 g cannabis + 100 mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in mL olive oil. Heat in watwatwater bath ~98°C for er bath ~98°C for er bath ~98°C for er bath ~98°C for er bath ~98°C for er bath ~98°C for er bath ~98°C for er bath ~98°C for er bath ~98°C for er bath ~98°C for er bath ~98°C for er bath ~98°C for er bath ~98°C for 120 min. 120 min.120 min.120 min.
Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it Before filtration, let it stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off. stand to cool off. stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off. stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off.stand to cool off.
Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b)Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b) Filtrate by pressing (b)
EXTRACT CLEANEXTRACT CLEANEXTRACT CLEANEXTRACT CLEANEXTRACT CLEANEXTRACT CLEAN EXTRACT CLEANEXTRACT CLEAN EXTRACT CLEANEXTRACT CLEAN-UP
N/AN/AN/A
N/AN/AN/A
(optional): Filter (optional): Filter (optional): Filter (optional): Filter (optional): Filter (optional): Filter (optional): Filter (optional): Filter (optional): Filter (optional): Filter (optional): Filter (optional): Filter (optional): Filter (optional): Filter (optional): Filter extract over a column extract over a column extract over a column extract over a column extract over a column extract over a column extract over a column extract over a column extract over a column extract over a column extract over a column extract over a column extract over a column extract over a column extract over a column filled with activated filled with activated filled with activated filled with activated filled with activated filled with activated filled with activated filled with activated filled with activated filled with activated filled with activated filled with activated filled with activated filled with activated filled with activated filled with activated charcoalcharcoal charcoalcharcoalcharcoalcharcoal
N/AN/AN/A
N/AN/AN/A
EVAPORATION/EVAPORATION/EVAPORATION/EVAPORATION/EVAPORATION/ EVAPORATION/EVAPORATION/EVAPORATION/EVAPORATION/
SEPARATIONSEPARATIONSEPARATIONSEPARATIONSEPARATIONSEPARATIONSEPARATIONSEPARATION SEPARATION
Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in watwatwater bath ~98°C er bath ~98°C er bath ~98°C er bath ~98°C er bath ~98°C er bath ~98°C er bath ~98°C er bath ~98°C er bath ~98°C er bath ~98°C under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of nitrogen gas nitrogen gasnitrogen gasnitrogen gasnitrogen gasnitrogen gasnitrogen gas nitrogen gasnitrogen gasnitrogen gas
Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of nitrogen gas nitrogen gasnitrogen gasnitrogen gasnitrogen gasnitrogen gasnitrogen gas nitrogen gasnitrogen gasnitrogen gas
Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in Evaporate solvent in water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C water bath ~98°C under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of under stream of nitrogen gas nitrogen gasnitrogen gasnitrogen gasnitrogen gasnitrogen gasnitrogen gas nitrogen gasnitrogen gasnitrogen gas
Let the solution stand Let the solution stand Let the solution stand Let the solution stand Let the solution stand Let the solution stand Let the solution stand Let the solution stand Let the solution stand Let the solution stand Let the solution stand Let the solution stand Let the solution stand Let the solution stand Let the solution stand Let the solution stand to separate water and to separate water and to separate water and to separate water and to separate water and to separate water and to separate water and to separate water and to separate water and to separate water and to separate water and to separate water and to separate water and to separate water and to separate water and to separate water and to separate water and oil. Put it in the freezeroil. Put it in the freezeroil. Put it in the freezeroil. Put it in the freezer oil. Put it in the freezer oil. Put it in the freezer oil. Put it in the freezeroil. Put it in the freezer oil. Put it in the freezeroil. Put it in the freezer oil. Put it in the freezer oil. Put it in the freezer oil. Put it in the freezeroil. Put it in the freezeroil. Put it in the freezeroil. Put it in the freezeroil. Put it in the freezeroil. Put it in the freezer
(-20°C) 20°C)20°C) overnightovernightovernightovernightovernight overnightovernightovernight
N/AN/AN/A
RECONSTITUTIONRECONSTITUTIONRECONSTITUTIONRECONSTITUTION RECONSTITUTIONRECONSTITUTION RECONSTITUTIONRECONSTITUTIONRECONSTITUTIONRECONSTITUTION
Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue with EtOH to 100 mL with EtOH to 100 mLwith EtOH to 100 mL with EtOH to 100 mLwith EtOH to 100 mLwith EtOH to 100 mLwith EtOH to 100 mLwith EtOH to 100 mL with EtOH to 100 mLwith EtOH to 100 mL with EtOH to 100 mL
Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue Reconstitute residue with EtOH to 100 mL with EtOH to 100 mLwith EtOH to 100 mL with EtOH to 100 mLwith EtOH to 100 mLwith EtOH to 100 mLwith EtOH to 100 mLwith EtOH to 100 mL with EtOH to 100 mLwith EtOH to 100 mL with EtOH to 100 mL
Collect upper layer Collect upper layer Collect upper layer Collect upper layer Collect upper layer Collect upper layer Collect upper layer Collect upper layer Collect upper layer Collect upper layer Collect upper layer Collect upper layer Collect upper layer Collect upper layer Collect upper layer Collect upper layer Collect upper layer (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off (oil) by pouring it off the frozen water layerthe frozen water layer the frozen water layer the frozen water layerthe frozen water layerthe frozen water layerthe frozen water layerthe frozen water layerthe frozen water layer the frozen water layerthe frozen water layerthe frozen water layerthe frozen water layerthe frozen water layer the frozen water layerthe frozen water layerthe frozen water layerthe frozen water layer
Collect the oilCollect the oilCollect the oilCollect the oilCollect the oilCollect the oilCollect the oilCollect the oil Collect the oilCollect the oilCollect the oil Collect the oilCollect the oil
EXTRACT EXTRACT EXTRACT EXTRACT EXTRACT EXTRACT EXTRACT CONCENTRATCONCENTRAT CONCENTRATCONCENTRATCONCENTRATCONCENTRATCONCENTRATION ION ION (cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent) (cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent) (cannabis/solvent) (cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent) (cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent)
5 g/100 mL 5 g/100 mL5 g/100 mL 5 g/100 mL5 g/100 mL
5 g/20 mL 5 g/20 mL5 g/20 mL 5 g/20 mL5 g/20 mL
10 g/100 mL 10 g/100 mL10 g/100 mL 10 g/100 mL 10 g/100 mL
DILUTION FACTOR FOR DILUTION FACTOR FOR DILUTION FACTOR FOR DILUTION FACTOR FOR DILUTION FACTOR FOR DILUTION FACTOR FOR DILUTION FACTOR FOR DILUTION FACTOR FOR DILUTION FACTOR FOR DILUTION FACTOR FOR DILUTION FACTOR FOR ANALYSISANALYSISANALYSISANALYSISANALYSISANALYSISANALYSIS
20x
20x
20x
100x
40x
FINAL FINAL CONCENTRATIONCONCENTRATION CONCENTRATIONCONCENTRATIONCONCENTRATIONCONCENTRATIONCONCENTRATIONCONCENTRATION CONCENTRATION
(cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent) (cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent) (cannabis/solvent) (cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent) (cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent)(cannabis/solvent)
2.5 mg/mL 2.5 mg/mL2.5 mg/mL 2.5 mg/mL
a): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plat a): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plat a): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plat a): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plat a): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plat a): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking plata): agitate by using a shaking platform @ 120 rpm form @ 120 rpm form @ 120 rpmform @ 120 rpm form @ 120 rpmform @ 120 rpmform @ 120 rpmform @ 120 rpmform @ 120 rpm form @ 120 rpm
b): b): separate oil from plant material separate oil from plant materialseparate oil from plant materialseparate oil from plant materialseparate oil from plant materialseparate oil from plant material separate oil from plant materialseparate oil from plant material separate oil from plant material separate oil from plant materialseparate oil from plant material separate oil from plant materialseparate oil from plant material separate oil from plant materialseparate oil from plant material separate oil from plant materialseparate oil from plant materialseparate oil from plant material separate oil from plant material separate oil from plant material by using a French coffeeby using a French coffeeby using a French coffeeby using a French coffeeby using a French coffee by using a French coffeeby using a French coffeeby using a French coffeeby using a French coffeeby using a French coffee by using a French coffeeby using a French coffeeby using a French coffeeby using a French coffeeby using a French coffeeby using a French coffeeby using a French coffeeby using a French coffeeby using a French coffee presspresspresspress
Effects of preheating
Preheating of cannabis samples has been recommended as a way to potentiate the final extract, i.e. to decar-boxylate the acidic cannabinoids naturally present in cannabis plant material, such as THCA and CBDA, and turn them into their more potent counterparts such as THC and CBD [18,19]. Therefore, we tested two decarboxylation methods by heating cannabis plant material (1 g in an open glass vial) under two condi-tions: I) in a water bath at a low boil (temp. 98-100°C) for 5 min, and II) in an oven heated at 145°C for 30 min. Unheated samples were used as a control for these experiments. All experiments were done in duplicate. Subsequently, samples were extracted as previously described [20,21] and analyzed by HPLC and GC.
Preparation of concentrated extracts
Five different extraction protocols for the preparation of concentrates were assessed. Details are described in table 1. These included a naphtha (1) and a petroleum ether extraction (2) according to the procedure of Rick Simpson [12,13]; an ethanol extraction based on an
Original Article
4 Cannabinoids  Vol 7, Issue 1  May 5, 2013
authoritative Dutch website on Cannabis oil [14]; and two olive oil extractions using different heating dura-tions (4, 5) based on popular Youtube videos [15]. Chemically, naphtha and petroleum ether are very similar solvents, and sometimes hard to distinguish because of the many different qualities available. In the context of this study we selected an industrial quality naphtha that was sold as camping fuel (Coleman®) and contains added chemicals for improving stability, while the petroleum ether used was of laboratory quality, and represents a more pure and better characterized prod-uct. Both solvents may be purchased by inexperienced patients under the name naphtha or petroleum ether.
All preparation methods consisted of only a few simple steps, typically involving one or two extraction steps, separating plant material from solvent, and finally (in case of organic solvents) an evaporation step to pro-duce a concentrate. For the ethanol extraction (3) we also tested the effect of filtration over activated char-coal, intended to remove chlorophyll which is strongly extracted by ethanol and may add an unpleasant ‘green’ flavour to the extract. Because the different extraction methods used different solvent-to-plant ratios, all extracts were finally diluted in ethanol to obtain a solvent-to-plant ratio of 2.5 mg/mL in order to allow direct chromatographic comparison of canna-binoid and terpene contents by high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and gas chromatography (GC).
GC/FID analysis
Because of the heat applied during injection and sepa-ration, GC is not able to show the presence of acidic cannabinoids without sample derivatization. As a re-sult, GC reveals the total cannabinoid content (acidic + neutral cannabinoids) after decarboxylation, only. However, terpenes can be efficiently analyzed by GC. Therefore, an Agilent GC 6890 series (Agilent Tech-nologies Inc., Santa Clara, CA, USA) equipped with a 7683 autosampler and flame ionization detector (FID) was used for the analysis of cannabis terpenes as previ-ously described [20,21]. The instrument was equipped with a DB5 capillary column (30 m length, 0.25 mm internal diameter, film thickness 0.25 μm; J&W Scien-tific Inc., Folsom, CA, USA). The injector temperature was 230°C, with an injection volume of 4 μL, a split ratio of 1:120 and a carrier gas (N2) flow rate of 1.2 mL/min. The temperature gradient started at 60°C and increased at a rate of 3°C/min until 240°C which was held for 5 min resulting in a total run time of 65 min. The FID temperature was set to 250°C. The GC was controlled by Agilent GC Chemstation software ver-sion B.04.01
HPLC analysis
Cannabinoid profiles were studied in more detail by HPLC, which enables the differentiationof acidic can-nabinoids (THCA, CBDA etc.) and their neutral ana-logues (THC, CBD etc.). Analyses were carried out using an Agilent (Agilent Technologies Inc., Santa Clara, CA, USA) 1200 series HPLC system, consisting of a G1310A pump, an G1322A solvent degasser, and a G1329A autosampler. Full spectra were recorded in the range of 200-400 nm using a G1315D photodiode-array (PDA) detector. Chromatographic separation was achieved using a Phenomenex C18 column (type Kinetex, 2.6 μm, 3 x 100 mm). Equipment control, data acquisition and integration were performed with Ag-ilent Chemstation software. The mobile phase consist-ed of methanol and water, acidified with 25 mM formic acid. Initial setting was 75% methanol (v/v), which was linearly increased to 100% methanol over 10 min. After maintaining this condition for 1 min, the column was re-equilibrated under initial conditions for 4 min, resulting in a total runtime of 15 min. The flow-rate was set to 0.5 mL/min, the injection volume was 2 μL, and the detection wavelength was 228 nm. All experi-ments were carried out at a column temperature of 40 ºC.
NMR analysis
Proton Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (1H-NMR) analy-sis for detection of solvent residues was performed by dissolving sample aliquots in deuterated chloroform. Spectra were recorded on a Bruker DPX 300MHz spectrometer, as previously described [17].
Results and Discussion
Effects of preheating
In the cannabis plant, cannabinoids are biosynthesized as their acidic forms, characterized by the presence of a carboxyl group attached to the phenolic ring. Acidic cannabinoids can be rapidly converted into their ‘neu-tral’ analogues under the influence of heat or extended storage [18], which causes loss of the relatively unsta-ble carboxyl group in the form of carbon dioxide (de-carboxylation). Preparation of cannabis oil, mainly intended for oral use, usually involves temperatures that are relatively low compared to other forms of ad-ministration where heating of the material is typically performed at much higher temperatures (e.g. smoking, vaporizing or baking). For a more thorough decarboxy-lation, preheating of herbal cannabis before preparation of cannabis oil has been suggested, for example by placing the cannabis in an oven.
Besides cannabinoids, the cannabis plant contains a range of terpenes, which are the volatile compounds that give cannabis its distinct smell and may act syner-gistically with cannabinoids [10]. Although preheating the plant material may release more of the known ac-tive (neutral) cannabinoids, it may simultaneously also cause loss by degradation or evaporation of compo-nents such as terpenes. Our tests were intended to bet-ter clarify the balance between desired decarboxylation and unwanted degradation. Unheated cannabis material was analyzed as a control.
Figure 1A shows the cannabinoid profile of the decar-boxylated samples, obtained by HPLC analysis. The
Romano & Hazekamp
Cannabinoids  Vol 7, Issue 1  May 5, 2013 5
mild water bath treatment did not lead to significant changes in the acidic-to-neutral cannabinoid ratio. In contrast, the oven treatment resulted in a complete decarboxylation of the major cannabinoids detected. THCA, cannabigerolic acid (CBGA) and canna-bichromenic acid (CBCA) had all fully converted into THC, cannabigerol (CBG) and cannabichromene (CBC), respectively. Further conversion of THC into its’ main degradation product cannabinol (CBN) only took place to a small degree during the oven treatment.
Figures 1B and 1C show the terpene profile acquired in our decarboxylated samples using GC. Compared to the untreated control, monoterpenes (the most volatile class of terpenes) were reduced to about half of their original levels even after exposing the plant material to boiling water for just 5 min. After the more intense oven treatment, only small traces of the monoterpenes terpineol, myrcene and terpinolene could still be de-tected. As may be expected, the less volatile sesquiter-penes were more resistant to the mild treatment with the water bath. However, most of them were lost in the oven treatment, and only traces of gamma-cadinene and eudesma-3,7(11)-diene remained.
These data indicate that significant decarboxylation of the major cannabinoid acids occurs only by exposure to higher temperatures for extended time (oven at 145°C for 30 min), which is in agreement with previous stud-ies [18,22]. However, under these conditions all major terpenes present were affected by significant evapora-tion. Although milder decarboxylation using a boiling water bath may be efficient when applied for longer time [22], the terpene profile already changes signifi-cantly after only 5 min of treatment. For this reason, all further experiments were carried out without applica-tion of a preheating step.
Analysis of the extracts: cannabinoid and terpene con-tent
Analysis by HPLC to reveal the ratio between acidic and neutral cannabinoids in the different extracts was limited to the main cannabinoids THCA and THC. Results are shown in Figure 2A. Most extracts con-tained only a small proportion of THC (5-10% of total THCA + THC content), as a result of the relatively low heat of max. 100°C applied during the evaporation (protocol 1-3) or extraction (protocol 4-5) step. A nota-ble exception was the naphtha extract, which was found to contain 33% of total THCA + THC content present in the form of THC. This is remarkable because the extract prepared with petroleum ether did not show the same composition, even though both solvents are chemically quite similar. Perhaps added chemicals (e.g. for stability) in the naphtha used in this study may be responsible for the observed difference.
Analysis of the extracts by GC indicated that the major components present in the cannabis material used were the monoterpenes beta-pinene, myrcene, beta-phellandrene, cis-ocimene, terpinolene and terpineol, and the sesquiterpenes beta-caryophyllene, humulene, delta-guaiene, gamma-cadinene, eudesma-3,7(11)-diene and elemene. This is in agreement with previous reports on cannabis variety ‘Bedrocan’ [20,21].
The extraction solvents showed comparable efficiency for extracting terpenes, with the notable exception of naphtha (Figure 2B and 2C). While this solvent gener-ally extracted terpenes less efficiently than the other solvents, several terpenes could not be detected at all in the naphtha extract. It is not known whether (i) these components were not extracted from the plant material, (ii) were degraded or evaporated during the extraction protocol, or (iii) GC retention times for these compo-nents were changed as a result of interaction with sol-vent components. Interestingly, the use of petroleum ether (chemically very similar to naphtha) did not show the same absence of components.
The use of olive oil as extraction solvent was found to be most beneficial based on the fact that it extracted higher amounts of terpenes than the other sol-vents/methods, especially when using an extended heating time (120 min; protocol 5). This may be ex-plained by the highly non-polar but also non-volatile character of olive oil, resulting in a good solubilization of terpenes while limiting their loss by evaporation.
Treatment of the ethanolic extract with activated char-coal, intended to remove chlorophyll, resulted in a considerable reduction of cannabinoid content (~50%) as well as all other sample components (data not shown). For this reason, the use of charcoal should not be recommended and was not further evaluated in our study.
Residual solvent testing
Naphtha and petroleum ether are mixtures of various hydrocarbon solvents with a range of boiling points, typically between 30 - 200°C. All the solvent compo-nents should be considered harmful and flammable, and some of them, such as hexane and benzene, may be neurotoxic. Both naphtha and petroleum ether are con-sidered potential cancer hazards according to their respective Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) pro-vided by manufacturers. Moreover, products sold as naphtha may contain added impurities (e.g. to increase stability) which may have harmful properties of their own [23]. For these reasons, the naphtha and petroleum ether extracts were analyzed for residual solvent con-tent.
Analysis by GC as well as NMR revealed significant residues of petroleum hydrocarbons (PHCs) in the naphtha and petroleum ether extracts. As may be ex-pected, mainly PHCs with a higher boiling point (as indicated by longer GC retention times) were detected, as they are more resistant to the evaporation procedure used (Figure 3A). In the naphtha extract, based on GC peak areas, the content of naphtha residue was roughly similar to the total content of terpenes remaining in the extract (Figure 3B).
Reconfirmation using an actual patient sample
In order to confirm our experimental results, we also analyzed a sample provided by a patient in the Nether-lands who produced his own cannabis oil using
Original Article
6 Cannabinoids  Vol 7, Issue 1  May 5, 2013
Figure 1: (A) Effect of (pre-)heating on the cannabinoid (HPLC analysis), (B) monoterpene and © sesquiterpene composition (GC analysis) of herbal cannabis material. (THCA: tetrahydrocannabinolic acid; THC: tetrahydrocannabinol; CBN: cannabinol; CBGA: cannabigerolic acid; CBG: cannabigerol; CBCA: cannabichromenic acid; CBC: cannabichromene)
Romano & Hazekamp
Cannabinoids  Vol 7, Issue 1  May 5, 2013 7
Figure 2: (A) Effect of five different preparation methods on the cannabinoid (HPLC analysis), monoterpene and sesquiterpene composition (GC analysis) of concentrated cannabis extracts.
Original Article
8 Cannabinoids  Vol 7, Issue 1  May 5, 2013
Figure 3a: Residual naphtha solvent components present in the naphtha extract as indicated by GC analysis. Dotted lines are added for easier comparison. All chromatograms are shown at the same vertical scaling.
Romano & Hazekamp
Cannabinoids  Vol 7, Issue 1  May 5, 2013 9
Figure 3b: GC analysis showing the same ethanol and naphtha extracts as above (Fig. 3a), but now using a larger time scale to compare total peak area of naphtha components to the sesquiterpenes present in these samples.
Bedrocan® cannabis and following the Simpson meth-od as described in the internet. The patient was a 50 year old male suffering from cancer of the (left) tonsil and the tongue. The analytical results (data not shown) were equivalent to our lab experiments described above, confirming the residual presence of PHCs at significant concentrations in a product that is intended for self-medication of cancer.
Conclusions
Concentrated cannabis extracts, also known as Canna-bis oils, are increasingly mentioned by self-medicating patients as a cure for cancer. Despite this growing popularity, so far no studies have been reported on the chemical composition or on the different preparation methods of such products. Recognizing the need for more information on quality and safety issues regard-
Original Article
10 Cannabinoids  Vol 7, Issue 1  May 5, 2013
ing Cannabis oils, the small study presented here com-pared on the basis of cannabinoid, terpene, and residual solvent content a few generally used recipes for prepa-ration of Cannabis oils,.
Based on the results of our preheating experiments, comparing a mild water bath treatment to more intense heating in an oven, it can be concluded that it is not feasible to perform decarboxylation of cannabinoids, without significant loss of terpene components. This is particularly important because of the fact that users of Cannabis oils often claim the holistic nature of canna-bis components to be responsible for its therapeutic effects. Retaining the full spectrum of terpenes present in fresh cannabis material should therefore be a major focus during optimal Cannabis oil production.
When comparing five methods of Cannabis oil prepara-tion, some interesting differences were observed be-tween the resulting extracts. Specifically the prepara-tion method described by Rick Simpson has attracted quite a following of self-medicating patients. This method favours the use of naphtha as solvent for can-nabinoid extraction, without specifying issues regard-ing quality or safety. According to the Simpson web-site: “All these solvents […] are poisonous in nature, but if you follow these instructions solvent residue in the finished oil is not a concern. […] Even if there was a trace amount of solvent residue remaining, the oil itself would act upon it to neutralize any harmful poi-sonous effect.” [13]. In other words, the curative prop-erties are considered to be strong enough to counteract any and all potential negative effects caused by residu-al solvents. Chemical analysis of our laboratory sam-ples, as well as a sample obtained from a patient, showed that the heavy fraction (components with high boiling point) of naphtha indeed remains in the extract despite the recommended evaporation step. Based on GC-FID peak areas, the total content of PCHs roughly equalled the total content of terpenes present in the extract. The potential harmful effects of these solvent residues have been discussed above.
It should be noted that as a result of sample viscosity, the more concentrated an extract becomes, the more difficult it will be to remove the residual solvent from it. In such a case, applying more heat will increase evaporation, but simultaneously more terpene compo-nents will be lost as well. Especially under conditions where Cannabis oil is prepared by simple household methods, there will always be a trade-off between re-sidual solvents and terpene content. For this reason, the use of non-toxic solvents should always be advised, so that potential residues are not harmful to health.
As extraction solvents for the production of Cannabis oils, ethanol and olive oil were shown to perform much better, extracting all terpenes and cannabinoids tested very efficiently. Additionally, these solvents are not harmful. Unfortunately, pure ethanol efficiently ex-tracts chlorophyll from cannabis, which will give the final extract a distinct green colour, and often unpleas-ant taste. Removing chlorophyll by filtering the ethanol extract over activated charcoal was found to be very effective, but it also removed a large proportion of cannabinoids and terpenes, and is therefore not ad-vised. Additionally, in most countries consumption-grade ethanol is an expensive solvent, as a result of added tax on alcohol products.
Of the solvents tested, this leaves olive oil as the most optimal choice for preparation of Cannabis oils for self-medication. Olive oil is cheap, not flammable or toxic, and the oil needs to be heated up only to the boiling point of water (by placing a glass container with the product in a pan of boiling water) so no over-heating of the oil may occur. After cooling down and filtering the oil, e.g. by using a French coffee press, the product is immediately ready for consumption. As a trade-off, however, olive oil extract cannot be concen-trated by evaporation, which means patients will need to consume a larger volume of it in order to get the same therapeutic effects. In a follow-up study on the use of Cannabis oils, there should be more focus on the characteristics and motivations of those who use it for self-medication.
Acknowledgements
LR was funded for this research by the Puglia (Italy) regional government with a “Ritorno al futuro” grant. AH is the head of Research and Development at Bed-rocan BV, the Netherlands.
References
1. Guzmán M. Cannabinoids: potential anticancer agents. Nat. Rev. Cancer. 2003; 3(10): 745-755.
2. Calvaruso G, Pellerito O, Notaro A, Giuliano M. Cannabinoid-associated cell death mechanisms in tumor models (review). Int. J. Oncol. 2012; 41(2): 407-413.
3. Velasco G, Sánchez C, Guzmán M. Towards the use of cannabinoids as antitumour agents. Nat. Rev. Cancer 2012; 12(6): 436-444.
4. Dansak DA. Cannabis as an antiemetic and appe-tite stimulant in cancer patients. McFarland & Co.: Jefferson, NC, 1997; pp 69-83.
5. Plasse TF, Gorter RW, Krasnow SH, Lane M, Shepard KV, Wadleigh RG. Recent clinical expe-rience with dronabinol. Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. 1991; 40(3): 695-700.
6. Noyes R, Baram DA. Cannabis analgesia. Com-prehensive Psychiatry 1974; 15(6): 531-535.
7. Clifford DB. Tetrahydrocannabinol for tremor in multiple sclerosis. Ann. Neurol 1983; 13(6): 669-671.
8. Müller-Vahl KR, Kolbe H, Schneider U, Emrich HM. Cannabis in movement disorders. Forsch. Komplementärmed. 1999; 6 (Suppl 3): 23-27.
9. Guzman M 2012. Do cannabinoids cure cancer? IACM website: http://www.cannabis-med.org/index.php?tpl=faq&red=faqlist&id=274&lng=en
10. Russo EB. Taming THC: potential cannabis syn-ergy and phytocannabinoid-terpenoid entourage effects. Br. J. Pharmacol. 2011; 163: 1344-1364.
Romano & Hazekamp
Cannabinoids  Vol 7, Issue 1  May 5, 2013 11
11. Grotenhermen F. Pharmacokinetics and pharma-codynamics of cannabinoids. Clin. Pharmacokin. 2003; 42(4): 327-360.
12. Simpson R. 2008. Documentary film: Run from the cure. Available on youtube.
13. Simpson R. 2013: Rick Simpson official website: http://phoenixtears.ca/
14. Bruining W. 2013. Wernard Bruining. Mediwiet [Medi-weed] official website: http://www.mediwiet.nl
15. Dr. Diane. 2013. Youtube instruction video:
16. Hazekamp A, Simons R, Peltenburg-Looman A, Sengers M, Van Zweden R, Verpoorte R. Prepar-ative isolation of cannabinoids from Cannabis sa-tiva by centrifugal partition chromatography. J. Liq. Chrom. Rel. Technol. 2004; 27: 2421-2439.
17. Hazekamp A, Choi YH, Verpoorte R. Quantita-tive analysis of cannabinoids from Cannabis sati-va using 1H-NMR. Chem. Pharm. Bull. 2004; 52(6): 718-721.
18. Veress T, Szanto JI, Leisztner L. Determination of cannabinoid acids by high-performance liquid chromatography of their neutral derivatives formed by thermal decarboxylation in an open re-actor. J. Chromatogr. 1990; 520: 339-347.
19. Hazekamp A, Bastola, K Rashidi H, Bender J, Verpoorte R. Cannabis tea revisited: A systematic evaluation of the cannabinoid composition of cannabis tea. J. Ethnopharm. 2007; 113: 85-90.
20. Fischedick JT, Hazekamp A, Erkelens T, Choi YH, Verpoorte R. Metabolic fingerprinting of Cannabis sativa L., cannabinoids and terpenoids for chemotaxonomic and drug standardization purposes. Phytochem. 2010; 71(17-18): 2058-2073.
21. Hazekamp A, Fischedick JT. Cannabis - from cultivar to chemovar. Towards a better definition of cannabis potency. Drug Testing and Analysis 2012; 4: 660-667.
22. Fischedick JT, Glas R, Hazekamp A, Verpoorte R. A Qualitative and Quantitative HPTLC Densi-tometry Method for the Analysis of Cannabinoids in Cannabis sativa L. Phytochem. Anal. 2009; 20; 421-426.
23. IARC 1989: WHO International Agency for Research on Cancer. IARC monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans. Vol-ume 47. http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol47/mono47.pdf

Grow goddess give the same explanation as mentioned in the report. Below (same thing I added above. 

http://www.bedrocan.nl/userfiles/file/cannabs%20oil%20hazekamp%20Romano.pdf  Worth Reading.

And your point is?

I am all done with this thread. anybody wants to discuss anything further regarding helping patients with an alternative to modern medicine, find me on facebook.

the point is that people are making rso with poisons that show up in lab tests and that although naptha really does a great job of getting the most cbd and thc it leaves behind poisonous residues. You pay your money and you make your choices. 

GPR55 is upregulated in cancer cell lines in the larynx and promotes proliferation. CBD and magnolia officinalis extract block GPR55.

http://www.nature.com/onc/journal/v32/n20/abs/onc2012278a.html

I don't see which cannabinoid receptor is upregulated, but it looks like CB1 and TRPV1 are both expressed in the larynx. THC activates both CB1 and TRPV1.

whoa...now I have to admit I am lost !!  naptha, how is Vodka harmful when heated..?

ok, theres lots of things flying around in this thread. someone mentioned the vodka vaporizer, basically its a device for liquids like an inhaler that allows you to 'breathe' alcohol. of course, alcohol gets absorbed into the lungs WAY faster/harder than drinking it (and being absorbed by stomach, kidneys, bloodstream, etc) so these alcohol inhalers caused some people to get blackout drunk etc.

vodka is fine when heated. just highly flammable and combustable. do it outside or else.

Edited by t-pain

i dont care if making something with a dangerous solvent is 'safe' if you boil it off or filter it or whatever.

its like saying you can make applesauce with naptha. sure you can. maybe you get more apple vitamins in the apple sauce. but i'd rather NOT EAT NAPTHA. says right on the can dont eat it.

Edited by t-pain

Look 

i dont care if making something with a dangerous solvent is 'safe' if you boil it off or filter it or whatever.

its like saying you can make applesauce with naptha. sure you can. maybe you get more apple vitamins in the apple sauce. but i'd rather NOT EAT NAPTHA. says right on the can dont eat it.

READ the darn report i put up that will tell you that there are high levels of that crap left behind.

Read residual solvent levels in the report. 

Edited by mrd

i keep coming back each time to see if anybody is speaking english yet..??  LOL....THis turned into a debate about some stuff I have never even heard of..  haha...

I am pretty sure whater cutting agent your using though as stated above cannot be any worse that Radiation..!!

I just hope my pops opens his eyes and lets me give him RSO.

are you able to produce the pound(ish) per month necessary for a gram a day dose?

I've read that just popping a few doses here and there may provide relief, but patients report a gram a day for a couple few months as the effective plan

i keep coming back each time to see if anybody is speaking english yet..??  LOL....THis turned into a debate about some stuff I have never even heard of..  haha...

I am pretty sure whater cutting agent your using though as stated above cannot be any worse that Radiation..!!

good luck MCM

i hope your dad finds some relief.

Cancer is no joke.

Sorry for your troubles MCM. Wish your father the best. Obviosly you care very much for him and your intentions are commendable.  I think cannabis plays a huge role in the healing process, so the best you can do is just what your doing, the best you can. Have the Cannabis ready if and whenever he may choose to use it. Be becareful if you do any experimenting with the oil recipes.  Take heart, it's all good.  

Just thinking out loud . . .

Would a gargle with a tincture or elixer be effective for throat cancer?

That way it would be like a topical, the cancer would be directly exposed to the medicine but wouldn't necessarily flood his system.

Probably not as effective as ingesting the oil but in the case of someone who is reluctant to use cannabis it might be a good introduction.

Any theories on this?

sublingual (under the tongue) would be better.

gargling is not really great for absorbption of medicine imo.

i know you can gargle chloraceptic spray to ease a sore throat. but you do end up spitting out a lot of menthol in that spray.

the menthol is a topical active ingredient, its localized to that particular area it reaches. which is why you are encouraged to spit it out, your stomach does not need menthol.

while cannabis can be used as a topical, i dont think its been tried that way to reduce tumors/cancer cells. although i'm sure it could work. at least rick simpsons video shows a skin cancer reduction using topical oil.

hard candy / sucker might also be useful?

and why not a topical put on the throat area ? some of the thc gets absorbed via skin.

but yes all good ideas to try.

Edited by t-pain