Bho Goes Boom

Officials: Hashish causes Saginaw home explosion

Associated Press6:45 a.m. EST February 22, 2016
635850709057276942-ThinkstockPhotos-4591

(Photo: Getty Images/iStockphoto)

SAGINAW, Mich. — Authorities say someone trying to make hashish caused an explosion and fire that damaged a home where marijuana was being grown in Saginaw and injured three people.

Saginaw Fire Department Captain James Champney says crews responded Sunday to a report of a butane explosion. He says multiple marijuana plants were found at the home.

Champney says three people escaped the home and had what were believed to be serious injuries, including burns. The Saginaw News reports they were taken to a hospital for treatment.

Firefighters initially had trouble getting into the home because of security bars on the door. Windows were boarded from the inside.

The fire is under investigation.

I'm not going to name names here but in the last few years I've had some discussions with a former regular poster here on this website about chemical extracts and the need for the guy extracting to have some knowledge about the dangers and being able to use intrinsically safe equipment and a fume hood. It turns out that this guy, who railed against me often and frequently posted that he was haz-mat qualified, blew up his own house and killed his dogs.

I got my haz-mat cert about 20 years ago.

Don't F with butane. Don't think you're above the risk.

Rosin ?

Rosin Tech: How To Make Solventless Extraction with Ease

Recently the rosin technique has been gaining a lot of traction in the cannabis industry as it is a simple and affordable way to produce a quality product, within seconds. This simple technique separates the resin from the plant material by using heat and pressure. The yields are much similar to other extraction techniques, ranging between 10-15% with flower and even more with dry sift/kief.

http://www.medicaljane.com/2015/04/13/rosin-tech-how-to-make-solventless-extraction-with-ease/

I see, the dry sift(ideally) or plant material is squished and heated and wrung out until the waxy trichomes burst, releasing the oil contained, while the solid plant material is filtered from the oil. oil is scraped up and consumed.

alternatively solvents dissolve the waxy trichomes and the oil inside, and the solvent and wax is ideally removed.

Rosin Press=good clean process for the masses.

Who will post a Rosin Press tutorial with pics and instructions?   could save the lives of dogs and men alike.

The topic is BOOM. Any bad cook can ruin the soup for sure. It's not for this topic though.

Neither is Rosin, still fresh on the readers mind and a viable solution to end this explosion habit.

Let me rephrase though because you are correct, it is off topic

never did hear of any fire with alcohol, good point resto. Nor have I ever heard of anyone blowing themselves up while trying to remove the alcohol solvent from the oil, a difficult and necessary task. These guys blew up most likely at the point they were trying to do the same thing, remove the butane from the oil.

solventless extraction solves this for the masses. No solvent used, no flammable gases, no toxins to remove from the finished product.

boiling /distilling alcohol is hazardous (flammable and possibly explosive) and difficult i'd say to do manually on a stove.

one of those countertop distillers would be simple and easy though.

use the right tool for the job.

always ensure adequate and safe ventilation.

wear safety goggles when working with volatile substances.

have fire extinguisher and fire alarms in proper order.

Resto:  Alcohol is extremely flammable and volatile and does go BOOM.  However,  Rosin does not.  ROSIN ROIN ROSIN ROSIN ROSIN ROSIN RISON!!!!!

ROSIN RISIN!

I've asked if anyone has witnesses your 'BOOM' with alcohol and no one seems to have heard of that. Not even a fire. You are correct in theory but your theory does not perform in our reality. Unless you have heard of a burn? Or felt the BERN? LOL

I use a couple of ISO2 units that contain the alcohol extraction. They are from the 70's. Old School Safety. 

I can see you are totally juiced on the rosin. It's good to have enthusiasm about your project. But it's nothing worth tossing extractions out the window for. You can be more than a one trick pony. 

Ever think of writing a rosin song? You got it goin' on. Do you sing? I can play back up. 

Solventless extraction doesn't work for a lot of situations. It's just one choice among many other safe choices. We don't want to dirty up the rep of all solvent extractions because one kind can be dangerous. 

I am going to try this very soon, in fact my next extraction,,,,,,Im bummed I just bought this  little glass bho extractor that is sweet, I can finaly just do  a 1/2 of buddz for a few grms of bho!

what ever I'm pretty much on my own lol!

Peace