Are Medical Marijuana Dispensaries Coming To Your Community?

intentional blinders of convenience only applies to those who know they have nothing to lose and everything to gain by risking what others have, to get something they will never get. If you are not one of the many in that category then you shouldn't be insulted by the terminology. Anyone who asks a proven conservative legislature to give them a pot store to play post office at has intentional blinders of convenience on. I'm making it very hard to do that. Very hard to pretend you didn't know that home growers could lose their rights at the cost of just asking for pot stores. Just asking is all it takes to lose all the home grows across Michigan. And to think it's not going on everywhere else just shows you have not studied the intent of each legislature involved. Each legislature needs to be studied to understand where a law is headed. It's easy to learn what's going on here in Michigan because a few of us try really hard to make it clear. It's takes a little more work to do that in/for other states, but it's there for anyone to look at. 

Medical Marijuana Has Been Legal In Illinois For A Year, But A Single Patient Has Yet To Benefit

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/05/illinois-medical-marijuan_n_6419542.html

Medical marijuana has been legal in Illinois for more than 365 days, but the number of patients that have actually been able to get relief from the drug remains a big fat zero.

While 600 local patients have already been approved for a medical marijuana card, there's no place to actually buy the stuff. And after the state recently blew its self-imposed deadline to award business licenses to medical marijuana growers and dispensaries by the end of 2014, not a single business can even plant pot seeds.

“Illinois is the worst at anything having to do [with] medicine -- or alternative [treatment],” Claire Mooney, a 39-year-old acupuncturist in Chicago, told The Huffington Post. Mooney applied in November for a medical marijuana card, hoping to ease muscle rigidity, pain and other symptoms caused by her multiple sclerosis.

Though she's frustrated by the state's timing, she said she's also not surprised by it. “It goes on the timeline I thought it would be on, given the bureaucracy of Illinois.”

Despite the growing frustration among would-be medical marijuana patients like Mooney, it might not be time to lose heart entirely -- so says Ali Nagib, the assistant director for the Illinois arm of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, a nonprofit advocacy group.

“Other than the fact that for many patients, any delay is too long, it’s not an unexpected delay for people who have been following it,” Nagib said. “If you go back and listen to floor debates in 2013, they were anticipating -- even at that time -- a year of rulemaking. In that sense, it’s not unexpected [the licensing has] taken that long."

But with a gubernatorial administration hand-off less than a week away, continued delays to the business licensing could see new variables emerge in an already complex landscape.

Outgoing Gov. Pat Quinn, considered a medical marijuana advocate, on Sunday told the Chicago Sun-Times of the state's licensing delay: "It is a complicated law and we're working on it as best we can. There's a lot of research to be done, and it has to be done right."

In less than a week, Quinn's term ends, and the licensing falls under the purview of Republican Gov.-elect Bruce Rauner, who criticized the law in the past.

“We don’t expect any major changes to the rules under [Rauner]," Nagib noted. "We simply don’t know how he’s going to implement this law. There are a lot of ways he could obstruct it if he chooses, and there are a lot of ways he could expedite it, too.”

Neither Quinn nor Rauner's office immediately replied when reached for comment.

Regardless of which administration issues the business licenses, Nagib said Illinois' medical marijuana patients are effectively "all dressed up, with no place to go."

Katelyn Harper, a 23-year-old Chicagoan who suffers from Crohn’s disease, told HuffPost she's not surprised by the long wait for medical marijuana access but remains hopeful that policy makers will avoid unnecessary delays.

“We are real people who have real lives, real jobs, friends, family," Harper said of her fellow patients who suffer from chronic illness. "[Medical marijuana] will not just benefit patients, it’ll benefit all of those people, too."

On the spectrum of states handling weed legislation, those like California and Colorado -- which legalized medical marijuana but have fewer regulations on the substance than Illinois does -- moved fastest from legalization to actual access, according to Nagib. At the other end of the spectrum is Massachusetts, still waiting on access to medical marijuana despite voters overwhelmingly approving it on a ballot measure more than two years ago.

"One criticism was that [illinois' law] doesn’t allow for home cultivation," Nagib said. "If that provision had been in this bill, patients could have access already.”

Mooney said the dearth of licensed marijuana businesses in Illinois means patients are being denied not only access to the drug, but guidance as to which strains will best help certain conditions.

“For my multiple sclerosis, I’ve found [specific types of marijuana] very helpful,” Mooney said, noting that without licensed dispensaries, finding and using the best strain is a challenge. “I just have to scour the streets for my Maui Waui," she added, referring to the name of a strain of marijuana.

Nagib said most advocates and lawmakers are anticipating that patients will have medical marijuana access sometime between late spring and early fall of this year.

“I think this next week is going to be very telling," he said. "We’ll see if things move or not. If we get to 2015 and there’s still no patient access, I’d consider that to be a significant failure.”

I would love to see the charade end.  Then I won't get lumped in with recreational users pretending to be sick.

Those of you in that category make us all look bad.

My attorney told me I have one of the most solid recs he has seen. BUT I know you can use cannabis medically for a ton of medical reasons, big and small. Who is to judge who gets left out because they are not sick enough? Why shouldn't everyone get to use it medically when I find it lowers a fever and helps a headache? Don't forget about the thing called 'attitude adjustment' that is also medical use without a doubt. I feel it's my duty as one of the sicker ones who use cannabis medically to help bring the 'less sick' with me on this medical train. I enjoy their company. And who that uses it medically hasn't slipped into what some would call recreational use? Maybe you cracked a grin and broke through the medical barrier into the joy of recreation for just a minute? 

I would love to see the charade end.  Then I won't get lumped in with recreational users pretending to be sick.

dont worry, sativex will be approved by the fda soon, then you can end your own charade of smoking your medicine and switch to an actual prescription of pharmacuitical grade marijuana.

Well I'm sure none of "those" people are on this forum.

I want to see the charade end so we can stop the criminal imprisonment and confiscation of innocent people's belongings. VERY surprised I'm in such a minority amongst people who have been denied their medicinal freedoms already. Hey what are a few more human souls on the pyre of the "Drug War"? As long as it isn't me I just don't have time to worry about it. Not hard to figure out how it got so bad when even the people on the front lines want to throw their squad members to the enemy as long as it means they don't get shot....this time....

I can see how you feel do you think that recreational users our hurting the MMA ? i just don't think the Law would have passed with 63% with out them voting also

My attorney told me I have one of the most solid recs he has seen. BUT I know you can use cannabis medically for a ton of medical reasons, big and small. Who is to judge who gets left out because they are not sick enough? Why shouldn't everyone get to use it medically when I find it lowers a fever and helps a headache? Don't forget about the thing called 'attitude adjustment' that is also medical use without a doubt. I feel it's my duty as one of the sicker ones who use cannabis medically to help bring the 'less sick' with me on this medical train. I enjoy their company. And who that uses it medically hasn't slipped into what some would call recreational use? Maybe you cracked a grin and broke through the medical barrier into the joy of recreation for just a minute? 

well said.

Well I'm sure none of "those" people are on this forum.

I want to see the charade end so we can stop the criminal imprisonment and confiscation of innocent people's belongings. VERY surprised I'm in such a minority amongst people who have been denied their medicinal freedoms already. Hey what are a few more human souls on the pyre of the "Drug War"? As long as it isn't me I just don't have time to worry about it. Not hard to figure out how it got so bad when even the people on the front lines want to throw their squad members to the enemy as long as it means they don't get shot....this time....

Relax, quoting one person does not a valid point make.

I am going out on a limb to say that a large % of us here will agree that we want the persecution to end.

Ideas on how to reach that end may vary, sure.

Coming in w/ a strong tude creates friction and not camaraderie, just sayin.

imho, we are in this together.

Thanks

we want the persecution to end

Of course i agree but shouldn't they also follow the Law as we do  ? and where do i draw the line in who i should support in a  court room ?

Peace

I start with 'intent' when I decide who to support. Then I try to put myself in their shoes. It's not easy. The only ones I haven't supported are folks who got caught by their greed and those who would hurt the rights our law has given us. Dispensary lobbyists have hurt us the worst of all so they are on the list of folks to not support automatically. Plus they add another reason to kick em to the curb almost weekly. I was warned early on that dispensaries were going to be a problem for patients. I had no idea how much of a problem they would turn out to be. 

I'd support anyone for MJ in the courtroom.  It's all a sham and not right.

For me it wasn't that long ago I was on the other side of the law, before I moved.

I don't think it's right to do it just for money but every transaction had another American looking for medicine in it and now their supply is gone.  Dispensaries serve patients.  A patient chose to go there for their meds either out of convenience or personal choice.  And now they have to travel further to get their meds since their local dispensary was closed down.

I know most of the dispensaries I go to get their product locally and don't want to grow their own.  They'd rather sit back and let others bring it in.  Then their job is easy.  I'm sure some would like the whole pie but I'd not classify the whole system from a few bad apples.

Edited by Norby

I'd support anyone for MJ in the courtroom.  It's all a sham and not right.

For me it wasn't that long ago I was on the other side of the law, before I moved.

I don't think it's right to do it just for money but every transaction had another American looking for medicine in it and now their supply is gone.  Dispensaries serve patients.  A patient chose to go there for their meds either out of convenience or personal choice.  And now they have to travel further to get their meds since their local dispensary was closed down.

I know most of the dispensaries I go to get their product locally and don't want to grow their own.  They'd rather sit back and let others bring it in.  Then their job is easy.  I'm sure some would like the whole pie but I'd not classify the whole system from a few bad apples.

Totally a fabrication to support wishful thinking on your part. Sorry for the harsh reality but it needs to be brought out into the light. Dispensaries, collectively, have been trying to kill home grows since our law passed. There's only one reason for that. Even the legislator they tasked with getting their dispensary bill passed admits it in public: QUOTE: A vote for dispensaries is a vote against home grows. Can't deny it because it's public record.

I start with 'intent' when I decide who to support. Then I try to put myself in their shoes. It's not easy. The only ones I haven't supported are folks who got caught by their greed and those who would hurt the rights our law has given us. Dispensary lobbyists have hurt us the worst of all so they are on the list of folks to not support automatically. Plus they add another reason to kick em to the curb almost weekly. I was warned early on that dispensaries were going to be a problem for patients. I had no idea how much of a problem they would turn out to be. 

Maybe but with out them popping up back in 2009 we did get more people signing up for cards other wise 

Maybe but with out them popping up back in 2009 we did get more people signing up for cards other wise 

I don't believe that. I was running a CC in two counties and helping sign up patients left and right. Making copies with my own printer at home. No one was signing up because of a dispensary back then. No one at all. The CC's did the work at the beginning to get a lot of patients in the pool. Mission accomplished. 

Edited by Restorium2

Thanks

sometimes you don't know the truth until you get to the court room because people don't tell the truth all the time when i went to the Court for the Ferndale people i hadn't known they had 3 million dollars of Cannabis and Equipment taken 

Thank you for helping so many

but back then some CG where ripping off the sick and CC had no Meds to give out so many left and didn't come back instead went to the Disp;

You make too much out of 'caregivers ripping off the sick'. Just like the dispensaries. It's one of their talking points. Sad greedy individuals without a law to stand on will say just about anything. Repeat it enough and some will believe it. For every act of 'ripping off' by a caregiver, there are some real accounts, the dispensaries have harmed us patients ten fold.

Totally a fabrication to support wishful thinking on your part. Sorry for the harsh reality but it needs to be brought out into the light. Dispensaries, collectively, have been trying to kill home grows since our law passed. There's only one reason for that. Even the legislator they tasked with getting their dispensary bill passed admits it in public: QUOTE: A vote for dispensaries is a vote against home grows. Can't deny it because it's public record.

Whatever Resto.  There are so many flaws in your logic.  It's not all us against them.  SOME DISPENSARIES DON"T WANT TO GROW THEIR OWN.  Just because of one rep for the dispense bill, ALL dispensaries are against home growing, is not logical.  That'd be like saying that all caregivers are against dispensaries because of one statement out of the press by one person who acts as a "voice" for caregivers.  This radical "only one can exist" ideology will push to only one in the end, hurting everyone who isn't radically on one side or the other.  Sorry, I have my own voice and vision. Try to show proof that ALL dispensaries have said they don't want home grows and that NO dispensaries are happy getting their wares from Mi growers or at least show something to give some kind of solid #'s not just a voice of a paid spokesman.  Even within the police there are LEAP members.  I know of NO profession or argument where EVERY SINGLE MEMBER believes all of the same thing.  Some of these dispensary owners couldn't keep anything alive if they tried.  I was a member of the NRA and I didn't believe everything they were about.  Maybe some just want representation to get dispensaries legal and the power struggles are limited interests.  Ever think of that?  Maybe like some of the orgs documented to have stabbed the movement in the back here.  If middle ground could be achieved it would benefit the patients though so I guess chances are a snowball in heck for that eh?

So, by your logic, patients should either side with the dispensaries or side with the caregivers, there is no in between?

Whatever Resto.  There are so many flaws in your logic.  It's not all us against them.  SOME DISPENSARIES DON"T WANT TO GROW THEIR OWN.  Just because of one rep for the dispense bill, ALL dispensaries are against home growing, is not logical.  That'd be like saying that all caregivers are against dispensaries because of one statement out of the press by one person who acts as a "voice" for caregivers.  This radical "only one can exist" ideology will push to only one in the end, hurting everyone who isn't radically on one side or the other.  Sorry, I have my own voice and vision. Try to show proof that ALL dispensaries have said they don't want home grows and that NO dispensaries are happy getting their wares from Mi growers or at least show something to give some kind of solid #'s not just a voice of a paid spokesman.  Even within the police there are LEAP members.  I know of NO profession or argument where EVERY SINGLE MEMBER believes all of the same thing.  Some of these dispensary owners couldn't keep anything alive if they tried.  I was a member of the NRA and I didn't believe everything they were about.  Maybe some just want representation to get dispensaries legal and the power struggles are limited interests.  Ever think of that?  Maybe like some of the orgs documented to have stabbed the movement in the back here.  If middle ground could be achieved it would benefit the patients though so I guess chances are a snowball in heck for that eh?

So, by your logic, patients should either side with the dispensaries or side with the caregivers, there is no in between?

THE rep for the dispensary bill, not 'just a rep'. The quarterback said it. A vote for dispensaries is a vote against home grows.The leader. The boss of it all. You can't cover it up with a heap of stinking cow dung. Common sense supports the fact. Economics supports it. 

You make too much out of 'caregivers ripping off the sick'. Just like the dispensaries. It's one of their talking points. Sad greedy individuals without a law to stand on will say just about anything. Repeat it enough and some will believe it. For every act of 'ripping off' by a caregiver, there are some real accounts, the dispensaries have harmed us patients ten fold.

That's how I got 3 out of 5 of my patients, they were getting ripped off by a caregiver.  Those are solid #'s and 2 had to go to dispensaries while the "cg" was fighting mites and numerous other problems and not supplying anything. See, I know from patients that dispensaries helped them out and I was helped by the dispensaries and one of my patients went solely to dispensaries before me.  So I know of 5 out of 6 patients(including me) who have either been let down by their caregiver or had to or wanted to turn to dispensaries for whatever reason.  Not having product, not having the right product, charging dispense prices but not giving dispense service, etc.etc.etc.