As Legislature Considers Medical Marijuana Proposals, Facts Must Overcome Fiction, Myths

bobandtorey

The Michigan Legislature is poised to provide much-needed clarity to our state's medical marijuana law. By approving a framework of strong regulations that hold people accountable, policymakers can end seven years of confusion that has harmed patients, local communities and responsible businesses eager to follow the rules.

Unfortunately, as legislators consider common-sense regulations that can protect patients while keeping out bad actors, some people are spreading misinformation and myths at the eleventh hour that must be busted. The people who oppose strong regulations are using scare tactics to derail safeguards designed to hold everyone in the medical marijuana industry accountable.

Policymakers and the public must not fall for their fearmongering.

Here are the facts:

• Patients and caregivers who grow their own medicine will not pay taxes.
  • Once approved, newly legalized dispensaries across Michigan will spark healthy competition. Market forces will drive prices. Middlemen will neither buy nor sell medical marijuana nor set prices. To claim otherwise is false.
  • Licensing costs are expected to be much lower in Michigan compared with costs in other states. These costs are not set by the legislation, and will be competitive to encourage entrepreneurship by small, local businesses in Michigan.
  • The tiered system for medical marijuana will promote greater transparency and accountability. In fact, keeping the tiers separate and independent will prevent price fixing, anti-competitive practices, collusion and price-fixing. In other words, the best antidote to monopolies is precisely an independent, separate tiered system.
  • The current patient-caregiver system will not change. In fact, the legislation gives patients greater choice, by allowing them access to safe, lab-tested, certified medical marijuana through a licensed dispensary.
  • The legislation provides more clarity and more options for patients, eliminating ambiguity and uncertainty. Despite claims to the contrary, the legislation does not create criminal "traps" for patients.

Opponents of strong regulations are essentially supporting the anything-goes, free-for-all status quo – a status quo that is unsustainable and puts patients and people at risk.

The facts are clear. The legislation being considered in the Senate will establish a responsible medical marijuana framework that will preserve patients' access to safe medicine. Businesses and local communities will have a clear roadmap for directions.

More sunlight will eliminate the grey areas and shady fly-by-night operators. Strong regulations and the facts are the best cure for what ails Michigan's medical marijuana sector. And that's why the Legislature must tune out the misinformation and approve strong, common-sense regulations without delay.

http://www.mlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/12/as_legislature_considers_medic.html

The facts are clear. The legislation being considered in the Senate will establish a responsible medical marijuana framework that will preserve patients' access to safe medicine. Businesses and local communities will have a clear roadmap for directions.

More sunlight will eliminate the grey areas and shady fly-by-night operators. Strong regulations and the facts are the best cure for what ails Michigan's medical marijuana sector. And that's why the Legislature must tune out the misinformation and approve strong, common-sense regulations without delay.

If MILegalize fails, this will be the law till 2020 when Aborgate might have a chance.

We have a great law for patients now. There are only a few patients who refuse to work within the guidelines.

The only people who are complaining are the leeches who are or who would prey on the system, dispensaries, testing, lawyers, courts, Leo.

Michigan is Energized and Informed, we are registering to Vote All repubs out and take our MMMP back till we Abrogate.

No More Legal Lies.

Edited by beourbud

I support you Greg and your right to your opinion.

I have good reason to not support milegalize.

Why anyone in this community would not support Abrogate or any movement for complete liberation of the cannabis plant,

is well beyond my comprehension.

It's not only about getting 'high', cannabis is sustenance and I want no further laws placed upon it.

It is an herb with medicinal properties period.

I am all for Abrogate but it hasn't a snowballs chance in hell. But YOU should be for MiLegalize for two reasons. First being on the ballot will make it hard for Republicans to be reelected. Second, I believe it keeps the Republicans from passing new laws that will be useless if it passes. Who will want their name on a multi-tens of millions bill to track a "seed to sale" system.  Caregivers will be f'd if Jones gets his way.

Fact is Abrogate Prohibition Michigan has gone farther than any other cannabis movement in this state and has done so in less time to date...  When an Idea's time has come, nothing can stop it.  including the tax & regulate schemes of continued prohibition with a shiny new name, but thereby maintains full control and continuation of Prohibition 2.0 to big business/money, via their lapdogs in Lansing D.C, and the same Fountainheads begging to give up more of our Rights because of contined inept, shortsighted, and wantonly blind planning and poor legislation.   I, for one, do not beg Tyrants to enslave me more, and you shouldn't either.

It was last June, when it became obvious to myself as so many others there were only going to be more efforts to give Lansing D.C. full and total control of not only the MMM Act, but any future legislation to continue the facade of Baby Steps to Change. 

I and thousands of others are not buying it.

If anyone wants to place blame on today's climate, they need look no farther than the Pusillanimous Fountainheads that went pandering to Lansing D.C. to fix the mess they and Lansing D.C. created over the last 1/2 a decade.

The A.P.M. Petition is up for BoC Approval with staff recommendation for passage with our first attempt, requiring only minor changes to the petition side to gain staff approval.  A.P.M. received official Ballot Question Committee recognition by the SOS on Aug 20th, 2015.   Then started an official Abrogate Prohibition Michigan bank account for political donations a week or two afterwards, and can of course give receipts for anyone wanting to deduct a political contribution on their taxes next year.

But instead of running out begging for money money money right away beginning of September, I found it more wise to focus on opening the discussion while finishing the Constitutional Amendment verbiage.  And help spreading the knowledge that there were other options that were available to us in Michigan.  Far better options than giving this Government total control of you and your children's Endocannabinoid Systems via terrible pieces of legislation that clearly add to the disparage and confusion, and does nothing to clear it up, or set the state on a solid path towards a sustainable future at any level on the cannabis issue, or any other related or similar issues.  

Abrogate Prohibition Michigan is but the 1st in the line of new goals to reinvigorate the States Economy, from the Farm Fields Up...

In a state that has 58% Polled Support for Legalization, I have to ask where is it?  That 58% state support that is? 
A.P.M. has set up a new field of game play, Done so in less than 4 months, and we just need willing players now.  

Now that the A.P.M. language should be approved by the BoC at the next meeting, we can open up donations to meet our first goal of $5,000.00 to cover printing and campaign kick off costs. We are on are way to meeting that goal already, but every dollar will help as there will be many things to cover over the next year as we Repeal Cannabis Prohibition in Michigan 2016.

As a constitutional amendment petition, we need not care about what the deal makers, or those in Lansing D.C. want.  And I am betting the vast majority of Michigan Electorate will agree with me on this position, "It's Time to Put the Servants in their Place.".

The only reason, or the only real reason that Honest Repeal would fail, is out of fear being instilled by those working to continue to make deals with Lansing D.C., because they have the most to lose next to the control the state itself does not want to lose.

When you say "They" wont allow it, remember "they" is you.

Abrogate Prohibition Michigan Because Michigan Indirect Legislative Initiatives Creates More Criminals.
You can let us know you want to help Petition here:
http://michican.us/forumdisplay.php?115-Public-Why-Abrogate-Prohibtion-amp-Petition-Discussions-(marijuana)-the-whos-whats-and-whys

You can help us make our first donation goal of $5,000.00 here:
http://michican.us/showthread.php?8233-Paypal-Donation-Code-here

We have set up a great chess match.   Its up to you to choose to Play the game, or have it played on you.

Just keep in mind, when you let others get 'that' for you, remember they 'got it', and you don't.

But what do I know, I'm just a set of flapping lips. 

Edited by Timmahh

We have a great law for patients now. There are only a few patients who refuse to work within the guidelines.

you are woefully out of reality. check my thread on improper transport to see patients getting railroaded by the courts.

"a few" hah.

The only people who are complaining are the leeches who are or who would prey on the system, dispensaries, testing, lawyers, courts, Leo.

wow. divide the patients into "good patients" and "bad patients" huh? divide and conquer. good job sun tzu.

I am all for Abrogate but it hasn't a snowballs chance in hell. But YOU should be for MiLegalize for two reasons. First being on the ballot will make it hard for Republicans to be reelected. Second, I believe it keeps the Republicans from passing new laws that will be useless if it passes. Who will want their name on a multi-tens of millions bill to track a "seed to sale" system.  Caregivers will be f'd if Jones gets his way.

Third, Shuette and Snyder are against it.  I wouldn't want to be on their side when MJ is concerned.

First being on the ballot will make it hard for Republicans to be reelected. Second, I believe it keeps the Republicans from passing new laws that will be useless if it passes.

How would it make it hard for Republicans to be reelected and why would you think it would keep them from passing new laws?

Really? What kind of voters show up when cannabis is on the ballot? What is the ratio of D to R?

Actually the Dems turn out more so for presidential elections. But we are educating them on the importance of every election and midterms.

Over here it is gerrymandered for repubs.

Even now though, a lot of repubs have come to recognize the GOP never had a Heart and they've surely lost their Minds!

Actually the Dems turn out more so for presidential elections. But we are educating them on the importance of every election and midterms.

Over here it is gerrymandered for repubs.

Even now though, a lot of repubs have come to recognize the GOP never had a Heart and they've surely lost their Minds!

????>?

Winning? Kinda sounds like the Lions. Celebrating before the game is over.

Vote for whomever you want but supporting either party exclusively is a suspect strategy in my opinion. This should be self-evident in the case of cities like Detroit, for instance, and states like Illinois.

At the national level as well there are plenty of reasons to hesitate before voting Democratic, starting with the economy, passing through immigration and ending with the ISIS JV team's caliphate.

Are Republicans the answer? Obviously not and their Michigan franchise is particularly egregious, but the fact remains Snyder, like Obama was elected twice. It is tough to make the case either was elected as a result of gerrymandering.

Snyder was elected twice because of the stupid choices the D's put up against him. 

You can't deny that a party is out of touch when they lose to Snyder twice.

Just like when they lost to Bush twice and then won with Obama.

You can hate on Obama all you want to but he was a winner twice because the R's were out of touch. 

Like using the economy as a reason to NOT vote a D in. The economy is doing quite well after two terms of getting out of the Bush Ditch.

This stuff is history and you can't change the facts ....

The economy is hardly healthy with growth stumbling even after nine years of zero interest rates and ten trillion in new debt and astronomical unfunded liabilities.

Rather like claiming Obama is a 'jobs' president. Well, that claim depends on what you ignore, starting with that ten trillion in borrowing to make those jobs. Ten trillion is the equivalent of 300,000,000 thirty-grand-a-year jobs.

Worse yet is the trajectory. Are Obamaphones, Obamacare, and food stamps accomplishments, or a symptom of an economic malaise?

Snyder was elected twice because of the stupid choices the D's put up against him. 

You can hate on Obama all you want to but he was a winner twice because the R's were out of touch. 

Like using the economy as a reason to NOT vote a D in. The economy is doing quite well after two terms of getting out of the Bush Ditch.

What is a hanging chad?

In the 2000 United States presidential election, many Florida votes used Votomatic style punched card ballots where incompletely punched holes resulted in partially punched chads: either a "hanging chad", where one or more corners were still attached, or a "dimpled chad" or "pregnant chad", where all corners were still ...

Who won the 2000 presidential election?
Five years after the controversial 2000 presidential election, ex-President Jimmy Carter now says he's certain Al Gore defeated George W. Bush.

Virgil Bernero i helped and voted for Virgil and Snyder had way more $$$ everyone i talk to say they didn't Vote for Snyder or they say i don't vote because your vote doesn't count 

The economy is hardly healthy with growth stumbling even after nine years of zero interest rates and ten trillion in new debt and astronomical unfunded liabilities.

Rather like claiming Obama is a 'jobs' president. Well, that claim depends on what you ignore, starting with that ten trillion in borrowing to make those jobs. Ten trillion is the equivalent of 300,000,000 thirty-grand-a-year jobs.

Worse yet is the trajectory. Are Obamaphones, Obamacare, and food stamps accomplishments, or a symptom of an economic malaise?

The Republicans have you snookered. You believe their propaganda to your own detriment. The Republican Party is the party of business interests. They are out to make money and make money no matter the cost to the average American. To business people, workers are like cannon fodder - they are there to serve the purpose of the business owner. The Republicans spew lies and half truths in order to make the peons believe that they are on their side. I repeat: The sole reason for Republicans to exist is to make money - period. They will even stoop to misinterpreting the Bible in order to make it appear that there is nothing wrong with being greedy. What a bunch of hypocrites.

The chickens are coming home to roost though. The crazy collection of groups that they put together (fooled) is now turning on their masters. Donald Trump is a big favorite of White Supremacists and Klansmen. Who'd a thunk it? The right to own weaponry, and use them, now supersedes the rights of people upon whom those weapons are used. The Republican Party looks like it may have put all it's chips on the table while holding a losing hand. I sincerely hope that the result of the fiasco currently being played out in the Republican Party is the total decimation and collapse of the party as a viable political entity. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people.

What?  The rights of citizens to own weaponry and use them supercedes the rights of the people who those weapons are used?  Again what?  Those people could've owned guns too.  How is the right to own guns superceding rights of those they were used on?   Did you ever ask police officers if they want to walk down driveways to take away guns from people WHO DIDN'T DO ANYTHING to make you think they'd use them unlawfully?  Did you ask the soldiers fighting in other countries if they were fighting so that politicians could take guns from people who pose no threat?  You tell me exactly how the police are supposed to figure out which person they should take guns away from?  This IS a free country, do you know what free means?  Would you rather live in a country as a subject and have rules imposed on you?  Do you know you are more likely to put a gun in your mouth and purposefully pull the trigger rather than get shot by another human being(look up the stats, they have redefined "mass shooting" and the suicide rate has been rising while the homicide rate has been FALLING)?  This is exactly why I am AFRAID the dems will win, we MAY get good mj laws(we may get more transport laws) but will it be worth it?  We need at least 4 major political parties to be free again.  Move to NY they have some really strict gun laws there(but the police WILL NOT ENFORCE the "safe act".  Seems the state troopers in NY, at least, stand with peoples right to defend themselves.  NY stood up against Cuomo and no one registered their assault rifles.  So think what you will but taking away guns will cause worse rifts and more violence than not taking them away.

It's not a fugging "Obama" phone, pfft.

Rumours get started and folks forget to check their facts.

Lifeline Program for Low-Income Consumers

https://www.fcc.gov/general/lifeline-program-low-income-consumers

Since 1985, the Lifeline program has provided a discount on phone service for qualifying low-income consumers to ensure that all Americans have

the opportunities and security that phone service brings, including being able to connect to jobs, family and emergency services. In 2005, Lifeline discounts

were made available to qualifying low-income consumers on pre-paid wireless service plans in addition to traditional land line service.

Lifeline is part of the Universal Service Fund.

The Lifeline Assistance program was created during the Reagan Administration.  President Reagan's Federal Communications Commission created the

original program in 1984.

Not that any of this matters of course as far as pertaining to the OP.

I am only attempting to show how disinformation is so easily perpetuated...  and then avg joe believes those 'lies' to be truth.

Repeated enough times... well, one might actually believe that ML will indeed "end prohibition". NOT. 

I become a little defiant when someone tells me I "should" do anything.

I should first think for myself and not follow others because I'm told I "should".

Not a great motivator imho.

Here imi, you should really try the ___ kool aid, it's so good and it's good for you too.