Detroit Raids Medical Marijuana Dispensaries Instead Of Licensing Them

bobandtorey

Well right now they claim to be raiding stores that were selling to non-cardholders, if that’s even true. They are probably doing this so they can free up resources for when March 1st comes, and then all of the stores in “drug free” zones will be hit. It appears that 30 out of 211 dispensaries have already been raided (~15%). Detroit council believes only 40 dispensaries will be consistent with the “drug free” zones and other requirements, meaning there will be another 140+ raids to come. Of course, more could pop-up in the legal areas raising this number in the future (although with these ridiculous restrictions, there isn't much room).

“During that session, Council President Brenda Jones called for all the nonconforming facilities to be shut down with extreme prejudice”

"Hollowell said he did not feel comfortable explaining enforcement plans at a public meeting. Instead, he will write a legal opinion, shielded from the public because of  attorney-client privilege, to describe enforcement against illegal marijuana storefronts."

http://www.theweedblog.com/at-your-own-risk-warning-from-detroit-to-medical-marijuana-dispensaries/

Extreme prejudice and no you cannot know the plans or reasons for raiding even if you are trying to abide by the upcoming rules... that makes a lot of sense.

They are going to make a ton of profit from all these forfeitures, prices will sky-rocket, patients won't be able to find meds until this clears up and dispensaries will be packed/less safe. I hope these dispensaries are informing their patients through leafy and such before they waste their time driving, but I doubt it.

Edited by Alphabob

I thought those that were in drug free zones would be able to ask for a waiver in order to stay,

"However, the council did pass an amendment that opens the door for some shops in violation of the zoning restrictions to continue to operate. As originally proposed, there was a 20% cap on zoning variances, meaning a business owner could apply for a variance if his shop was within 800 feet — 1,000 feet minus a 20% variance — or more of a restricted area. But the council lifted the cap, meaning some stores can apply for a variance if they are next door to a church or some other protected establishment. The Board of Zoning Appeals would make the final call in those situations."

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2015/12/17/detroit-marijuana-dispensaries/77483282/

but according to the same article "all existing medical marijuana shops are operating unlawfully until the new rules take effect." So they are basically saying all shops can be there until a decision is made but they are not allowed to operate at the moment. Although Police Chief James Craig said '"We're not going to arbitrarily go to dispensaries" and shut them down before March 1'

some shops in violation of the zoning restrictions

Police Chief James Craig said '"We're not going to arbitrarily go to dispensaries" and shut them down before March 1'

some stores can apply for a variance

They are going to make a ton of profit from all these forfeitures,

I know of some that did get raided   ( if you can call it a raid ) Leo didn't take a thing the next day they where open i also know some got raided inn 2010 and are still in Court and open for business today 

They can not arrest everyone 

​It's only my  opinion 

Thanks

some shops in violation of the zoning restrictions

Police Chief James Craig said '"We're not going to arbitrarily go to dispensaries" and shut them down before March 1'

some stores can apply for a variance

They are going to make a ton of profit from all these forfeitures,

I know of some that did get raided   ( if you can call it a raid ) Leo didn't take a thing the next day they where open i also know some got raided inn 2010 and are still in Court and open for business today 

They can not arrest everyone 

​It's only my  opinion 

Thanks

Good deal. Maybe they can fix the schools then. These folks are idiots setting up these shops. They must have too much time and money on their hands. Give them community service and a paint brush. 

--->  sarcasm. 

I'm so happy that Detroit has finally evaluated their back-log of rape kits and has the murder situation under control.  In 2014, Detroit finally went to second place in the US for murders.  In 2014, Detroit fell to 43.5 murders per 100,000, just behind St. Louis at 49.9 murders per 100,000.  So YAY!  Time to divert LEO resources to MMJ sellers rather than investigate rapes and murders.

I feel so much safer now.