Denver Police Not Allowed To Work Off-Duty At Pot Shops

Denver Police Officers Not Allowed to Work Off-Duty at Pot Shops

A departmental order issued by the Denver Police Department bans police officers from working as security guards at recreational marijuana shops in their 0ff-duty time.

Denver police officers are allowed to work off-duty security jobs at venues such as bars and sporting events.  Officers are paid about $45 per hour by the private businesses to stand as an armed guard.  This allows businesses to offer a police presence but does not take away from city resources. 

However, department policy does prohibit officers from providing off-duty services to “any establishment which constitutes a threat to the status of dignity of the police as a professional occupation.”  Recreational pot shops are considered by the Denver PD to fall under that category.

“We’re going to do everything we can to make sure those businesses are safe, but we’re not going to work inside those businesses,” said Sonny Jackson, a department spokesman. “It’s a new industry, and we’re not sure what it’s going to entail.”

The memo, delivered to all Denver PD sworn personnel, states, “This restriction prohibits officers from providing security at any such location and from providing security for the transportation of financial proceeds from any marijuana-related business.  Officers can expect future revisions regarding policies pertaining to marijuana as the laws are developed and finalized.”

Up until last week, Denver police had no written policy about secondary employment at medical marijuana businesses.  The new regulations come as a result of the conflict between state and federal law.  Police Union President Nick Rogers said, “Can you imagine a Denver cop in full uniform working at a marijuana store when the feds come and serve a search warrant?”

Police will be on hand to help with crowd control when recreational marijuana shops begin to open next year, but do not expect to see them step foot inside a Denver pot shop.

[Source]

Is there a difference between in uniform and off duty?

yes

there is

when wearing a uniform you represent the organization for which you belong.. whether on duty at the time or not.. people recognize the uniform and you are held to a higher standard until you remove it.

same goes for military.

your always enlisted however you may not be "on duty".... when wearing your uniform it must be correct and authorized.  you couldn't wear a partial uniform just because your not on duty... as an example you still have to have your cover and your belt at all times (trust me i know from experience) :)

i once left the barracks and forgot my belt..

what a day.. and that was regular army too not even during training.

it does not matter if i was on duty, off duty, on my way to duty where ever... if i am in the uniform.. it had to not only be correctly worn it has to be authorized... i am not allowed to wear my uniform just anywhere...

yes

there is

when wearing a uniform you represent the organization for which you belong.. whether on duty at the time or not.. people recognize the uniform and you are held to a higher standard until you remove it.

same goes for military.

your always enlisted however you may not be "on duty".... when wearing your uniform it must be correct and authorized.  you couldn't wear a partial uniform just because your not on duty... as an example you still have to have your cover and your belt at all times (trust me i know from experience) :)

i once left the barracks and forgot my belt..

what a day.. and that was regular army too not even during training.

it does not matter if i was on duty, off duty, on my way to duty where ever... if i am in the uniform.. it had to not only be correctly worn it has to be authorized... i am not allowed to wear my uniform just anywhere...

I used to take my uniform  off when i was State side just to get a ride  when hicks hiking because in 1966-67 people would spit on you as you where a baby burner to some

Being "Out of Uniform" is an offense in the military that will get you a "ticket" from the M.P.s on base and an "Article 15" from your Battery Commander .   (trust me i know from experience)  :)

oh for sure...

ya gotta love the UCMJ

Article 15 for almost anything..

when enlisted a "person" is no longer a "person"

while Human you are nothing but an asset with a serial number to the machine.