Don’T Block Detroit Access To Medical Pot

bobandtorey

A regulatory framework for medical marijuana dispensaries that have proliferated in Detroit makes sense. But that framework shouldn’t needlessly shut down businesses that aren’t a threat, and it shouldn’t insert more confusion into the state’s already vague medical marijuana law.

The medical marijuana industry is growing in Detroit and throughout Michigan, and the city shouldn’t prematurely squash the economic boost it offers — jobs, income and much-needed tax revenue. And over-regulating risks pushing activity back into the black market.

There’s room to improve the regulations, which passed the City Council late last year and took effect March 1. As they stand, the zoning regulations imposed on dispensaries operating in Detroit are excessively limiting.

Centers are banned from operating within 1,000 feet of schools, arcades, parks, party stores, child care facilities, churches, public housing and other dispensaries. Some of those, like schools, are drug-free zones, and it makes sense the shops not be allowed to operate there.

But businesses such as liquor stores and arcades litter Detroit. It seems onerous dispensaries aren’t allowed to operate near them.

And while many churches seem to dislike dispensaries near them, these businesses at least offer lawful economic activity in areas that often need it.

Cursory analysis of how the roughly 200 dispensaries in the city pair up with zoning regulations show the vast majority of shops won’t pass the current regulations. In some cases, that will be merited, but in others, common sense should trump the letter of the regulations and the city should allow variances.

Many of the shops are in buildings that were previously just vacant structures, according to a survey by Loveland Technologies of Detroit’s dispensary industry. Surely vacant structures threaten Detroit’s safety more than medical marijuana dispensaries.

City Council members, top officials at the Detroit Police Department, the city’s top lawyer Melvin Butch Hollowell and others have been vague on how regulations will be enforced beginning in April, and some have said shops that contest the regulations will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. While that’s certainly better than banning them outright, it’s hard to imagine these rulings won’t be at all subjective.

Mayor Mike Duggan expressed his clear distaste for the industry during his State of the City address, which puts these business owners already at a disadvantage.

Further, as the Legislature keeps trying to more clearly define the industry in the state and arguably protect patients’ safe access to medical marijuana, Detroit should try to keep its regulations in line.

Right now the Detroit ordinance conflicts with proposed legislation before the Senate. The bill, which has passed the House, says state-registered marijuana caregivers can be workers at, but not owners of, these businesses. The Detroit regulations state the opposite, that the owner, operator and all employees at a center must be card holding, registered caregivers.

Michigan is moving toward a broader medical marijuana industry. A February economic analysis says medical marijuana could generate revenues between $44.3 million and $63.5 million per year in the state, and could also create about 10,000 jobs.

Detroit needs that money and those jobs, and it shouldn’t needlessly scare away both.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/editorials/2016/03/27/detroit-access-medical-pot-marijuana/82315384/

This is utter bs right here and I am tired of reading it as though it is truth.

[snip]

A regulatory framework for medical marijuana dispensaries that have proliferated in Detroit makes sense. But that framework shouldn’t needlessly shut down businesses that aren’t a threat, and it shouldn’t insert more confusion into the state’s already vague medical marijuana law.

the state’s already vague medical marijuana law i can agree to but only because it was not implemented in the first place and now the Courts have made it so no one even knows what to do sure people like me and you know the Law well but most don't 

I talk to people all the time when i'm out and about and most say only one thing when asked to sign to make cannabis legal ( in some kind of way ) It's already Legal they say i tell them the Law has become a Zip code Law Imho 

Thanks

I've found our Act to be easily understood, at least within the scope of my needs.  I grow my own cannabis, and help a couple people who cannot grow for themselves yet. I don't help anyone else with cannabis. I don't grow more than I'm allowed to. IMO The ones most often confused so far have been

dispensary owners

people selling to dispensaries

people selling outside of their patient registry

growers who cant figure out multiples of 12, up to 72

Why can’t we just have farmer market-like dispensaries and call it a day? We don’t need any more bills or ordinances until recreational use is legalized, we need proper court rulings that use standard procedures when interpreting the law. There is no vagueness in the law except for some of section 8, just a lot of people who don’t understand English or basic linguistics. Vagueness would be the use of ‘maybe’, ‘a few’, ‘several’ or ‘reasonably necessary’; not ‘any’. What these people don’t seem to get is that ‘any’ means all and an indefinite 'a' means any, it’s not up for interpretation nor is it vague. From my reading of the MMMA, any cg/pt transfer should be allowed; pt/pt and cg/cg are not. If registered caregivers want to open up a store to do so, what’s wrong with that? They are reviving Detroit, providing patients with much needed medicine and offer at least some security. MSC, COA and LEO are the ones that need to go (i.e. be replaced). We simply cannot have such individuals in positions of power when they refuse to uphold the law and protect the public, the one thing they have sworn to do.

Edited by Alphabob

This is a piece in support of the shops as I read it.

I'm going a little of topic here...

I watched footage of the rally last Tues and what I saw puzzled me a little.

So many signs saying "Save Our Access".  Hu? 

Interestingly enough, there were shops sponsoring the sign making,

providing materials and space for people to make their signs.

I wonder how much influence the shops had upon the message being displayed?  ;)

I love the farmers markets,  I was at one all afternoon yesterday... and the Sat. before.

Home grows, farmers markets and retail outlets all can have a place at the table.

Why squeeze anyone out of the commercial market?

They still have these going on in MI? 

you're right imi. bob said the other day a bunch of dispensaries get protests but some patient/caregiver like hartwick gets 2-40 years and theres nary a protest.

Exactly why I did not attend the 'rally' even though I am within walking distance.

There have been so many issues that have needed community support and

there was little to no mention of group support or a rally.

Retail shops holler "stop the raids!" and we are all to come running?  Nah, not I.

Again, I may not have the 'popular' opinion on this, and I'm good with that.

I wonder if those patients holding 'Save Our Access' signs realize they are

essentially tossing the MMMP under the bus in favor of the retail   :money:  entities.  Sad.

I know which side my bread is buttered on and it's the pt/ cg program I and others voted for.

jm02

Exactly Wild Bill.

40 + years I've used cannabis regularly.

7 years now as a patient.

There were 'dry spells' sure.. sometimes.

I always knew somebody, that knows somebody...

I am of the opinion that this drive for/ by retail shops

and their eagerness to get rid of the home grower,

will eventually drive those of us that just want to grow

our own medicine... back underground.

again... jm02

I lived in Detroit for years and never had a problem with access to cannabis. Before dispensaries were even considered.

How much harder could it be now?

When dispensaries take over access will be easy, a monopoly, and expensive. The money you spend at the dispensary will be used to insure the monopoly by empowering law enforcement with new revenue. Pure business logic at it's simplest. And a way to continue to put unsanctioned by law enforcement suppliers in jail. No different than any other protection racket or pyramid scheme. At the top of the pyramid are the feds with their RICO law. Keeps everybody busy. 

When dispensaries take over access will be easy, a monopoly, and expensive. The money you spend at the dispensary will be used to insure the monopoly by empowering law enforcement with new revenue. Pure business logic at it's simplest. And a way to continue to put unsanctioned by law enforcement suppliers in jail. No different than any other protection racket or pyramid scheme. At the top of the pyramid are the feds with their RICO law. Keeps everybody busy. 

Yep. 

Still gotta feed the prison industry.

To complete the circle, make it perfect, they could sentence unsanctioned sellers to marijuana producing details. They could actually make us grow it and clean it for them. Free labor. Experts laboring for free room and board with shackles. And store front pot sellers doing nothing put standing around and collecting, just how they want it. Steal it and sell it. That's the goal. Because who wants to have to work anyway? It's more fun to just sell. 

Why can’t we just have farmer market-like dispensaries and call it a day? We don’t need any more bills or ordinances until recreational use is legalized, we need proper court rulings that use standard procedures when interpreting the law. There is no vagueness in the law except for some of section 8, just a lot of people who don’t understand English or basic linguistics. Vagueness would be the use of ‘maybe’, ‘a few’, ‘several’ or ‘reasonably necessary’; not ‘any’. What these people don’t seem to get is that ‘any’ means all and an indefinite 'a' means any, it’s not up for interpretation nor is it vague. From my reading of the MMMA, any cg/pt transfer should be allowed; pt/pt and cg/cg are not. If registered caregivers want to open up a store to do so, what’s wrong with that? They are reviving Detroit, providing patients with much needed medicine and offer at least some security. MSC, COA and LEO are the ones that need to go (i.e. be replaced). We simply cannot have such individuals in positions of power when they refuse to uphold the law and protect the public, the one thing they have sworn to do.

I do agree and things would be almost perfect i would like to Add one thing Cannabis would be Free to anyone that could not pay for it